Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it finally happened. Took the car out today for some street time. All I can say is holy 5hit! I don't know how you guys drive these things on the street. The last motor in this car was a stock'ish 396.

I've still got a couple of small things to do, small rad leak, trim, oh yeah, hood etc.. But I actually got it out on the street!

IMG_3340 by chevelle69ss, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
8,709 Posts
Congrats!!!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For those of you that run a dominator on the street, is there any fine tuning to get these things to run decent at part throttle?!

Once I'm about 1/3 throttle, it cleans up and sounds strong, under that it's a little rough. Even tried a lower gear to up the RPMs thinking that may help.

It's a 1050 3-circuit. Hearing the 3-circuits may be even worse for the street. I've got a good carb guy I'm going to talk with, but wanted to see what your guys' experience has been. a 1000 4-barrel or similar is looking pretty tempting right now.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Even part throttle is sounded clean? I'm wondering if not having a hood on is affecting how it's running part throttle. I did notice a little fuel on the back side of the carb, which then sprayed back onto the firewall.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
My 1150 did great on street after some fine tuning. Nice ride btw.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds healthy...Any details to share?
Oh I'd be glad to...

489 - 10.5 cr
SCAT forged rotation assembly - thanks Mike Lewis! Mike this may have been back in your first year of business lol, probably somewhere around 2010/2011 though.
AFR 290 heads, Smith Bros 3/8 rods
Bullet SR cam put together by Chris Straub - 268/270 duration ~.700 lift - Isky EZ Roll lifters
Edelbrock intake - might be a Victor O, I'd have to check.
Holley 1050 dominator

Fuel - I'm running -10 all the way from the tank using a RobMC pickup - hoping it will supply enough fuel, so far seems to do the same.
Holley mechanical pump

Trans - TH400 built with a reverse valve body and brake - I don't have the brake hooked up and it may be a while.

Rear End - Quick Perofrmance 9" thanks to CrazeyDavey! 3.90 gears i believe is what we used

Brakes - Factory manual drum/disk - I swapped out the MC, this sucker stops better now than it did with the vacuum booster.

Other than that, I took the body off the frame, repained, new body bushings all around, new control arm bushings, shocks/springs, TRZ upper/lower rear CA's. I pretty much replaced every nut/bolt/hose/line when I went through it. I'm hoping it handles better, it needs an alignment and front sway bar, so it's hard to tell at this point. It feels pretty squirely at the moment.

Inside the car looks completely stock, I have 3 small gauges under the dash and I'm planning to mount the shift light in the dash so I can see the flash through my vent - factory SS tach.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Nice car must be quite a change from before. Get a Quick Fuel 950 with the Dominator base but the 4150 top. Under the hood air cleaners and other things will be easier to do also than the Dominator. I ran a Dominator on the street for 20 years in a 540 it was OK because engine was so big. I went to a quick fuel 950 and works better on street now and did not loose any power according to chassis dyno (550 rwhp). However, you need to keep the Dominator intake as that is where the power is. So the Quick Fuel gives you the base but the smaller top for better throttle response.

·
Premium Member
2000 Trans Am WS6
5,057 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

I have been kicking around the idea of swapping on a manual master cylinder setup for 3 years now...I just don't have a consistent brake "feel" with the 9" booster and reserve tank. I had an electric pump but it was horribly loud, and very annoying...

Do you recall what parts you used to do the swap?

I think a reinforcement plate of some sort is needed, but it's literally been 30 years since I had a Chevelle with manual brakes...It was a 70 with manual drum brakes, and I simply swapped on front rotor setup from a 72 SS, and kept manual drum MC and they worked great...I kept everything else, from the drum brakes...proportioning valve, lines, master cylinder, etc...Now, I'd have to do like yourself, and do the same swap as 30 years ago, but doing it in reverse...lol.

·
Registered
456 Posts
For those of you that run a dominator on the street, is there any fine tuning to get these things to run decent at part throttle?!

Once I'm about 1/3 throttle, it cleans up and sounds strong, under that it's a little rough. Even tried a lower gear to up the RPMs thinking that may help.

It's a 1050 3-circuit. Hearing the 3-circuits may be even worse for the street. I've got a good carb guy I'm going to talk with, but wanted to see what your guys' experience has been. a 1000 4-barrel or similar is looking pretty tempting right now.
I'd at least put an air filter on it before tuning, but if it cleans up at 1/3 throttle now, I'd say it's not "air" interrupting it at lower speeds. I'm currently running an AED 1050 3-circuit and it runs as clean as any of the half dozen 4150's I've tried.

Motor sounds good and love the paint!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Looks and sounds great! Love to see some video when it's on the road.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts