Chevelles.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a 1970 SS 396 with headers is the Magnaflow correct part number 15894?

·
Premium Member
5,978 Posts
That's what Magna Flow says. You could always call them and check if they have other options. I installed Flowmaster 3 inch over the axles, and while they fit, they were not all that great. My exhaust guy did some rebending to get them perfect and symmetrical.

#15894 2.5 inch
MagnaFlow Street Series Crossmember-Back Performance Exhaust System

You'll need the collectors for your specific headers.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what Magna Flow says. You could always call them and check if they have other options. I installed Flowmaster 3 inch over the axles, and while they fit, they were not all that great. My exhaust guy did some rebending to get them perfect and symmetrical.

#15894 2.5 inch
MagnaFlow Street Series Crossmember-Back Performance Exhaust System

You'll need the collectors for your specific headers.
Can I use my old collectors?

·
Registered
40 Posts
That is the correct part # for a 2.5" system- MagnaFlow '68-'73 A-Body Street Series 2.5" MAG15894 - Classic Muscle Car Exhaust
If you feel the need for a 3" system, #15898 is correct-MagnaFlow '68-'73 A-Body Street Series 3" MAG15898 - Classic Muscle Car Exhaust
Be aware though, that 3" system exits behind the rear wheel, El Camino style. Every other 68-73 will need tailpipe mods to exit out the back. Wish I could give you an answer as to why, but I've never been given a concrete answer by them when I've brought the subject up.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. Looking for the exhaust going out the back ike stock, hence the 15894 number. Seems the 2.5" exhaust is best for under 500 hp and my desires. Have to check what brand headers I have but I think they may be ceramic coated Hooker or Hedman, not sure how to tell. Current exhaust is actually ok but a little too mellow. Want something a little beefier but still be able to talk to the wife of 30 years, call me crazy!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I can tell you about both, as I was a manufacture’s representative for both companies at different times. Both do not come with header collectors. You can pick up collectors that fit your headers then have them welded to the system (cutting will be required). Magnaflow uses an X pipe, while Flowmaster uses an H pipe. Magnaflow mufflers are polished Stainless steel as Flowmaster‘s are painted Stainless. Biggest difference is Magnaflow system exits straight out under the rear valance so you can run O.E. Style chrome tips. Flowmaster’s rear pipes have a slight down turn, not allowing the use of original style tips. I hope this helps! FYI: I have a Magnaflow system on my Chevelle!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone know where the Magnaflow part number 15894 can be had with shipping and tax for 34711. I see around $685.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone have a sound clip of the Magnaflow exhaust 15894 installed on a 70 Chevelle SS 396 with headers?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can tell you about both, as I was a manufacture’s representative for both companies at different times. Both do not come with header collectors. You can pick up collectors that fit your headers then have them welded to the system (cutting will be required). Magnaflow uses an X pipe, while Flowmaster uses an H pipe. Magnaflow mufflers are polished Stainless steel as Flowmaster‘s are painted Stainless. Biggest difference is Magnaflow system exits straight out under the rear valance so you can run O.E. Style chrome tips. Flowmaster’s rear pipes have a slight down turn, not allowing the use of original style tips. I hope this helps! FYI: I have a Magnaflow system on my Chevelle!
What system do you have, size exhaust, engine size and do you like the sound? Looking for sound clip.

·
Registered
145 Posts
It only has 1000 miles on it, and it exits at the rear tire. I wouldnt say it has a drone, but it is loud. but with windows up and radio on, its fine in the car. If you dont want it loud and have under 550hp (realistically i think is more than that - there is a thred on here with the calculation) at crank go with the 2.5. and then you can always go with the larger mufflers (up to a 18") on the 2.5 if too loud. If i recommended the kit to anyone i would say go with the 2.5". just for volume.

I will extend it to rear bumpers I think. I had the exact system on my 67 with 383 and glide and drove it a 65+mph with 3.73 on highway for hours and never noticed the drone, it just takes time like all systems to get some build up in them. I even then went and dumped at mufflers and found that even better. louder and more bass, but quieter on the highway somehow. I am older now (6 years since i had my 67) and I might upsize to the 18" muffler and keep this system at 3, if once i put the 2.5 over axle on it doesnt make enough difference to keep the wife happy.

All that said i wouldnt use anything but magnaflow. I have used them on personal and customer cars for 20 years and never had an issue and love the sound. they sound even better when you are pushing boost through them!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts