Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
iI am ready to bolt on my heads. Which one is which? I forgot to mark them. The motor is a 350 Cast 80-84. The heads look the same. Please help!!

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
The heads will interchange. But if you want to keep the right side on the right and the left on the left, just look at the threaded holes on the ends of the heads (the ones where the A/C bracket and alternator brackets bolt up) to see which ones look like they've been used. The threads in the bolt holes that were facing the firewall will have very little wear, and unless the heads were hot tanked, they might even have a little paint in them. The holes with signs of wear will face the front of the engine.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
If the part number on the heads is the same, they are both identical. Right and left does not matter. Sometimes there is a plug in the side of one of them if nobody took it out. That normally came off the passenger side.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guys thanks for the quick reply. I can't tell by the holes. The numbers are the same but one has a 14 above an intake runner the other has a 5. Also they each have 3 holes on 1 side and 1 on the other side. Ussually the alt. is on the left side (facing the motor) Right? And that would use the head with one hole, right? And the head with 3 would go on the opposite side, right?

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Forgot about the temp sender! Yes, just install the head with open hole on the driver's side. Like Dean said, the one with the plug goes on the passenger's side.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.