Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got it back $1250 total cost (deducted $250 becuase it took soo long,5 weeks!) removed all trim/bumpers,front/rear windows painted jams under hood/trunk. here are some pics below but i got home too late for good ones i will post new ones tomorrow when i can get some in the daylight.

------------------
members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/chevelle3.jpg John Krenn
1970 malibu
Ft.Worth, Tx

·
Registered
93 Posts
Chev-hell: You got LUCKY,My shop is right next door to Maaco and i see their work!Very Sad.I also got to know the owner and foreman so I thought I would get a decent paint job[no bodywork at all]Wrong!It is full of fisheyes and the paint is so thin the primer shows through and they said they even put extra on to do a nieghbor a favor.Then I gave them my son's 80 el camino and it came out worse yet.Now Maaco and I are not very friendly anymore.You take it to Maaco you really take your chances but it's very rare to see any type of quality work come out of that shop.

------------------
Ray{Surrey BC CAN}
65SS chevelle X 2
65 chevelle 2dr
65 el camino
64 el camino
etc.
team #241 gold
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Lane/7757

[This message has been edited by 65ss (edited 01-23-2000).]

·
Registered
93 Posts
Looks like you have a nice car there but did Maaco align the hood or did someone else do it .Sure looks like Maaco quality to me.

[This message has been edited by 65ss (edited 08-24-99).]

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would never bring a car to maaco ever again.I had a bad experience.If you like fisheyes,solvent pops,overspray,and very poor quality paint then I guess I'd recommend them but Im sorry If you like your car spend a few extra bucks and have someone who cares about the job they perform do it.Ive never heard of a shop that does paint jobs for 189.00 to be very good. just my 2cents

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My Sport hood was not very good to begin with (i bought it used and all rusty) and i just kinda put it on and have'nt aligned it yet as for the roof stripes that was my idea, i thought without a padded top it would look stupid without and actually it really looks good with em, the color scheme makes them very subtle, this is my 2nd maaco car (first was an 84 vette) and this shop takes for ever but will do a good job if you don't want their $299 special. jk

------------------
members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/chevelle3.jpg John Krenn
1970 malibu
Ft.Worth, Tx

·
Registered
35 Posts
Many years ago I restored a VW beetle and had the car painted at Maaco. I did all the body work and they just sprayed the paint. The paint turned out very good. I think the quality of the paint job you get from these type of shops varies widely depending on the ability of the shop to hire and retained good painters. If you are going to let someone else paint your car you should take a look at their work before you let them start spraying paint.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
chev-hell,
Where abouts in Ft. Worth do you live? I would like to look at your car and find out what you had done and at which maaco.

------------------
Greg Chambers
Crowley, TX

·
Registered
687 Posts
Hey guys,
Remember Al doesn't like flaming especially businesses.

------------------
John 67SS
ACES #2887
TC #127
Bassett,VA

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
I have had 2 cars painted by Maaco and was happy with both. I did all bodywork and removed trim and bumpers from both, and tipped a little to get a good job. One was done in acrylic enamel and the other in Imron (this was a few years back.) Just look at a few that their painter has done to be sure he knows what he's doing. That would apply to ANY shop, though. I would not automatically rule them out on name alone.

------------------
"SSuper Dave" Palmer
A.C.E.S. #1483
Team Chevelle #32 Gold

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Chev-hell
Nice looking car. I took mine to a "reputable" shop just for bodywork and white sealer and I'm not too happy with it. I'm glad you were satisfied with yours.

I have had such bad experiences with bodywork that I'm going to try it myself this winter. So, good job or bad, I'll only have myself to blame. - Jeff

------------------
Got Chevelles?
Jeff Carpenter
65 Malibu Convertible
See it before- www.littlecars.com/car1.jpg
Team Chevelle Gold #61

·
Registered
738 Posts
John, I think your ride looks killer based on the pics. From reading these posts, I suppose you feel really fortunate that it turned out so good. Sounds like several people had a nasty experience - ouch!
This has been said several times, but before you get her sprayed, you have to check out the shops' credibility and skill set.

Anyway, get that beast on the raod soon. There are too few good looking Chevelles on the streets today.

------------------
'70 Malibu - 383 'Fog Fed' Stroker! Houston, Texas Gold Member #39
Chevellz Alwayz!

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I think the phrase 'you get what you pay for' applies very well to paint jobs. You pay $299 for a paint job, it's going to suck no matter where you got it done. My truck at home has over $1000 in paint alone, and it looks better than it did out of the factory.

the bottom line is the skill of the technicians and how much detail and paint you're willing to pay for. Doesn't matter what name the sign over the door has on it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Unless I'm mistaken, John wasn't trying to start a war over Maaco, he was just showing off his pride and joy. I bet he feels really good hearing about hood alignment, roof stripes (exactly where he wanted, so exactly where they should be), and, of course, how Maaco sucks. Come on guys let's hear it for John and his beautiful 70 Chevelle!

------------------
Mike
formerly known as gotapileof70Malibu
'70 Malibu
'70 Malibu convertible

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think its great john Im glad it turned out the way you wanted , its a nice car!!!!
later, POPS

·
Registered
51 Posts
Chev-hell,
It looks great, I dont personaly like Maaco but looks like a good job. I think some of you guys need to remember no everyone can afford 6000.00 paint jobs. MY 69SS is going to Terry in Nashville you may have seen his work in Chevelle World I had to wait 14yrs to be able to afford this kind of paint job because I LOVE MY SS.

------------------
Mike69SS
Fedex aircraft mechanic
Horn Lake Ms.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.