Team Chevelle banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone out there have a breakdown of how many 1970 Chevelle SS came with the L34 396 and M21 tranny.

·
Premium Member
2,181 Posts
I have one book that says there were a total of 11,830 M21's used in the 1970 El Camino, and Chevelles. It doesn't break down how many were behind the L34, but another listing shows there were 28,414 CTX (L34/Manual trans) coded engines built (same code for the Camaro and Nova that year), so you can make your own conclusions from there.
No LS5 or LS6 cars got an M21, they would only get the M22 if they were manual trans cars

There's also an additional 1,275 Chevelle/El Camino's with the LS3 (402/330 horse) that were manual trans cars, that could have received the M-21 option.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey guys. ok so im trying to put in a restored transmission. i have a 1970 chevelle malibu with a 454 (not original) with a muncie m20 hurst system. my trans couldint take it. so i live in a very very small town in mexico so i dont have many options. i found a few other muncie m20 but i feel like it wouldint last me long. so my option is geting a T5 or a T45. those r my only options. would thos fit into the bell housing? or what would i have to do so it would work with the 454?

·
Premium Member
19,751 Posts
I have one book that says there were a total of 11,830 M21's used in the 1970 El Camino, and Chevelles. It doesn't break down how many were behind the L34, but another listing shows there were 28,414 CTX (L34/Manual trans) coded engines built (same code for the Camaro and Nova that year), so you can make your own conclusions from there.
No LS5 or LS6 cars got an M21, they would only get the M22 if they were manual trans cars

There's also an additional 1,275 Chevelle/El Camino's with the LS3 (402/330 horse) that were manual trans cars, that could have received the M-21 option.
There was also the L78 of which 2,144 were built for Chevelles but the L78 CRQ engines for A, F, and X bodies had 5,572 built for manual transmissions.

Too many variables that would dilute any calculated even distribution IMO.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.