Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,
In the TC Parts ads there is a guy named RICH who has 2 big shaft (71-later) Muncies for sale for $450! Ad was placed Jan 2. Claims they are perfect. I don't need one, but if they are acurately described, this is a great buy. I would not hesitate to put an M-21 behind a 396BB with at least 3.31 gear. Some people feel a M-21 is too high of a gear for a 3.31. If you have at least a healthy 396, I think it is an OK combo.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hmm, very interesting.
Although the big-shaft is 71 and later, would it work on a 69 or 70? I have a 69 396 in my 70 SS and my TH-400 has gone south, so a 4-speed is sounding pretty good right now.

Thanks for the info, DZ

------------------
Ian McDermott
1970 Chevelle SS 396
Gold Member #101
E-mail: [email protected]
Web page: chevelle.dhs.org
ICQ UIN: 3923441

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
You would have to get a fine spline clutch, but could use the output shaft from the 400.

------------------
1972 Malibu (1 st. car) Project waiting to happen
Team Chevelle # 427
A.C.E.S. # 1282

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Hey DZ, I'm swapping the M21 for a new 20 when the car gets back from the paint shop. Question: M21, 3rd gear whine, some fluid leakage poss from countershaft although too soon to tell. Complete w/ Hurst Comp Plus. Asking price? A local resto guy said he'd swap me even up on a tripower aircleaner. His cost, I would guess, is $300 or so. BTW this is a 10 spline in/small out, 1969/70 unit.

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 01-05-2000).]

·
Registered
13,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gene,
Is the whine in the 20 or 21? If it is just more noticeable in 3rd only, that probably means that 3rd gear got replaced sometime in the past. I put a new from GM 2nd in the M21 (with lots of miles on it) in the 56 Vette years ago, still whines in 2nd.
How do you know this M20 is "new"? Is it a new rebuild? Or new in the box. At my age I have just about come to the point that I don't feel comfortable with anything that I haven't rebuilt myself. I just like to know that it's put together right, and I only trust me. Anyway, if you are totally confident that the M20 is in excellent condition, then I guess it would be an OK swap.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Tom, the "whine" is in the 21 and my error, it's not a whine ol buddy, it's a growl in 3rd. It sounds like a rockcrusher after a three day bender. Hosed.

I paid too much for the 20, sight unseen ( UPS/COD)and it turned out to be just as clean as the guy related to me. The brass rings were a little chewed. I had a shop go through it all anyway. They told me about some "pitting" on the main shaft they found so tearing it clean down was not a waste of $.

So I consider the M20 "new". Fresh would be more appropriate. It's a tight case. They sometimes have to O-ring the countershaft but this one is tight. Lucked out on the internet ( got it from the TCamaro site), and although I overpaid (?) it's a mid to late year 1967 box, so it's more correct for the '67. Not that I'm a numbers guy, but I;d like to get her close as possible ( exe the mill of course). Thnx.

BTW I say I overpaid, but it came with a complete set of Hurst rods/arms( needed) and a very fresh Centerforce disc ( may be needed!).

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 01-06-2000).]

W

·
0 Posts
Tom, I sent that guy email about those trans, no response. I would do those in a flash if he would respond.

------------------
Wally
Gold #67
67 Malibu "Small Block"
90 SS454
71 Malibu "Small Block"
93 torch red vette

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.