Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just found a 68 chevelle that I'm thinking about buying to use for parts to fill in on my present 68 chevelle. Apparantly, it's a project car in the works, with knobs and such in a box, distributor out of engine, but some stuff redone, or so they say.
What my question is, is how have you all had luck parting out desirable cars that are non-SS?
I'd have to sell it parts/whole, as I could never drag a classic chevelle off the junkyard.
I really hadn't planned on getting a parts/restorable car to use to aid me, as my budget is on the tight side, but this car has the original 307/powerglide i believe, bucket seats that I can use, etc, for $400
I'm sure I could get more back out of it, as the back seat was just redone, and a new dash, but as I said, I'm wondering how people make out selling out parts, etc, as most would most likely have to be shipped(headaches).
I know the car is worth it, as I seem to get the impression the guy doesn't want to part with it, but I'm wondering how well you do on recouping back the cost.
Heck, maybe if it's decent I'll try to talk my brother into getting it so we can have matching cars and he can stop desiring imports.

Tony

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
To paraphrase Will Rogers, " they don't make 'em any more" so there will be a continuing demand for good parts that are not available aftermarket or if the aftermarket stuff is not all that good. It will be tough to store a hulk for a long time as the salvage guys do. That may be the rub.If the body is solid you can sell the various panels and as you note, the shipping will be a determining factor in the selling price. Certainly you will be able to get your money back if you can hang on for a few months.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I've had pretty good luck posting extra parts I have on this site. Trying to keep the garage cleared is a problem. You must be patient, but lots of stuff does sell.

------------------

·
Registered
191 Posts
If it is a clean car, buy it! You can always sell it whole to someone who will restore it. (Get your brother off the foreing bandwagon.) I hate to see a restorable car beeing parted out.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
It it's decent, restore it. From your description, it sounds like this car is resto candidate. For the price, you may want to buy it and hang onto it until you are finished with your present 68. What's better than owning one bar of gold? Two bars of gold.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.