Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help with an LT1 with a cam driven water pump. I’ve searched the forums and internet and still do not have a good answer. That and I get confused by some of the posts and web sites.
The owner of the LT1 motor wants to switch to a standard water pump and a March serpentine system that I have setting on the self. The motor has already been a converted to a distributor and carb setup. The March system (Style-Trac) has a new reverse rotation (not flow) water pump in the kit
I’m hoping that he can pull the GM water pump (it has the two ports on top side by side), timing cover, cam gear, pull the water pump drive gear, install a new timing cover, my March system, and then be done with it.
Can the switch be done? Can it be done by a novice?

·
Premium Member
3,921 Posts
Need some help with an LT1 with a cam driven water pump. I’ve searched the forums and internet and still do not have a good answer. That and I get confused by some of the posts and web sites.
The owner of the LT1 motor wants to switch to a standard water pump and a March serpentine system that I have setting on the self. The motor has already been a converted to a distributor and carb setup. The March system (Style-Trac) has a new reverse rotation (not flow) water pump in the kit
I’m hoping that he can pull the GM water pump (it has the two ports on top side by side), timing cover, cam gear, pull the water pump drive gear, install a new timing cover, my March system, and then be done with it.
Can the switch be done? Can it be done by a novice?
This is not a "bolt on" change.

The water pump to block match up is completely different; you cannot install a common small block water pump.

The timing chain cover will not interchange; the shape and bolt pattern is different.

I have seen an LT1 engine with a belt driven fan. The owner fabricated a bracket to mount a pulley and fan in front of the LT1 water pump; LOTS of work.

To answer your direct question, no, not feasible.

Verle

·
Registered
18,901 Posts
the stock LT1 accessory bracket setup is compact and sturdy- why change it? and the cam driven water pump gets rid of a belt. GM spent a lot of time and money designing this, and you want to change to the old style setup?
and what are you going to do about the water outlet on the intake side? the LT1 heads don't have a water passage into the intake like an old small block does.
but, if you MUST do it, i think a timing cover from a newer vortec 4.3 -they have a balance shaft above the cam- will bolt to the LT1 block- this would get rid of the water pump drive gear, and you could then run any stock timing chain for any 87 and newer small block with a roller cam.
if he is doing this because he wants a mechanical fan, some 94-96 B bodies (Caprice, Roadmaster, etc) with the towing package had a mechanical clutch fan setup that bolted in front of the water pump, with a separate pulley that bolted to the harmonic balancer. they are kind of rare, but they are out there, and the parts might still be available from GM.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
I think the LT1 also has reverse flow as well, so a standard water pump will flow water in the wrong direction. LT1 has aluminum heads as well, you don't want to warp those with poor cooling.

I just rebuilt my LT1 and I kept the stock pulley system, water pump, Opti, etc.

E.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.