Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a set of aluminum Chevy LT1 heads at a swap meet last weekend that were off a 96 Camaro for under $500 bucks. What is involved in running these heads on an older block? I know the coolant flows in reverse on the newer small blocks..What's the deal?

W

·
0 Posts
They flat won't work. It's a shame but you would be better of buy a set of Edlebrock heads.

·
Registered
687 Posts
If you are good with a welder can get it welded and machined fairly cheap,then it can be done because I have done it myself.You will have to figure how to route the coolant to the thermostat(I did it with a pipe from the front of the head to the intake)and then if you do not get enough flow it will run about 210 degrees.But these heads will run extremely good with a mild motor.But you can get the cast iron vortec heads for about $400 and run almost as good just a little less compression because of the bigger combustion chamber but the intake port in the vortec is more desirable than the LT1 head but the exhaust port needs opening up to flow with the intake side.They are the better value and they're cheaper and new,not off of another engine.
My $.02.

------------------
John 67SS
ACES #2887

[This message has been edited by 67ss (edited 04-16-99).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.