Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all. I was talking to a couple of very knowledgeable LS6 guys and we all agreed that a registry should be created to document these cars. The registry will help with cars remaining, options, the percentages of certain features (options, auto/4spd, color, etc.), dealerships, and other very important data. I would like to start the registry by using a computer generated database using build sheets. The data will be complied by me into a spreadsheet type analysis and emailed/mailed to contributors. We could also extended this database to non computer users and it would include both "matching numbered, documented" (ie POP, build sheet) cars as well as cars that are represented as LS6/L78 cars. That way we can hopefully account for the highest possible amount of cars. There could even be a small book (like the COPO Connection)that is published (Kinko's would be great for this)that would list the pertinent data on each car (maybe small owner history) along with build sheet copies for contributors. I think we could all gain valuable info by establishing a registry. I can be emailed at [email protected] or called at 804-737-1194 to discuss. Those wanting to fax a copy of a build sheet, please do so to 804-746-7783, attention Greg. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
While that is a good registry as it pertains to Chevelles overall, we were concertrating on LS6's. The L78 data is to be used to determine the realtionship between the last L78's/first LS6's. Anyone wishing to participate (Chris White and myself have quite a few sheets already)can email or call.

·
Premium Member
7,104 Posts
Greg,
I like the idea and that's an admirable effort. However, if your mission is to:
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>
a registry should be created to document these cars. The registry will help with cars remaining, options, the percentages of certain features (options, auto/4spd, color, etc.), dealerships, and other very important data.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I foresee some problems. While you'll have no difficulty accounting for "authentic" cars. There will be those with less than authentic or undocumented cars looking to add their vehicles to the registry in an attempt to validate their cars. {How many jokes have been made here about the quantity of LS6 cars remaining vs the quantity built?}

What do you do? If you let them in, you corrupt your own database. If you exclude them, especially if they're legitimate cars with no proof, you discredit your own database. If you add a footnote to the effect that it's undocumented, people won't participate if it means casting any aspersion on their own cars. My opinion is unless you can authenticate the cars and limit admissions based upon that, I wouldn't do it.

I hope you can solve the problem and are sucessful. It could also be a valuable resource to sellers and buyers.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Well said Alan F.
I started a 1970 L-78/LS-6 registry 5 years ago.I found these to be problems soon after.I can not vouch for the cars authenticity.Only the documents presented.And some of them were highly doctored.
Others had sent me buildsheets,but the cars were long since destroyed.
It is virtually impossible to use this info to say this is how many are left,or this is how many are correct.
It is a great idea though.The codes and dates are fasinating information to restorers.I found the information from it to be most helpful here,with fellow enthusiasts.
Has Chris finished building that House yet?

------------------
Rick Peters
ACES#175
1970 L-78...ON THE MOVE

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No he is still working on it I think. I agree that there are alot of problems that might arise from a registry. I guess the the issues of destroyed cars, faked build sheets, and "doctored" cars make this a very tough thing to do. In my mind I would tend to only accept cars with factory documentation (window stickers, POP, build sheets, etc), as they would be the less suspect of the cars being represented. Now I know that this would leave out a large group of cars, but that would be the easiest way to not end up with 10,000 LS6/L78 cars. Maybe an easier method would be a booklet of build sheets (again similar in construction to the COPO Connection book ie: spiral bound, in VIN/plant order). This way others could potentially use the build sheets collected to either assist is validating a potential car or as a reference for restorations. I would love to get your feedback on this. You can call me at 804-737-1194 EST to discuss. Maybe we can all exchange sheets.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I would bet that there are more real LS6 cars without POP's or window stickers than with. It is not reasonable that everyone who bought an orignal LS6 decided to keep or pass this stuff along. When I see a car documented with all this stuff my bull**** meter goes off. Only GM can produce the real records at this point. I wonder what would happen if they did? Lawsuit city?

RLK

RLK

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree that out of the 4475 LS6's built, the majority of original owners did not worry about hanging on to documentation for future collectors use. However alot of cars still have build sheets, mainly because they were not known about by the owners until collectors interest had been established. 0

·
Registered
116 Posts
That would be quite an undertaking to attempt to document almost 5,000 cars.

I have a registry of LS-6 Convertibles that I have kept for a number of years. Would like to hear from anyone with knowledge of any cars or documents to share.

[This message has been edited by Black LS-6 (edited 08-18-2001).]

·
Registered
203 Posts
The problem with build sheets being the measure of authenticity is the ease of reproducing them.

More real = more dollars
Less real = less dollars

So, where I'm going with this is the following. A database of LS6 cars should accept all LS6 cars. Build location, options, cowl information. Owners and VIN's should not be included.

Very useful statistics could then be drawn out, obvious flaws found, and owner privacy maintained.

The database could not be used as a verification tool which is a good thing.

RLK

·
Registered
985 Posts
>>The problem with build sheets being the measure of authenticity is the ease of reproducing them.

I wonder how easy it would be to reproduce a build sheet that would be indistinguishable from an original. For one thing, the equipment they used to print them is no longer being used. Also, how do you age paper 30 or more years? I feel pretty confident I could spot a fake.

------------------
Keith
70 El Camino SS L78 396
Currently: 496ci big block, GM aluminum heads, roller valvetrain, Richmond 5 speed.

[This message has been edited by KAA (edited 08-20-2001).]

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I agree on both new points. I also would like to begin a database of the sheets and then put together a book of them for all contributors.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.