Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe someone can help me I have an LS6 motor I am rebuilding and I am thinking of putting a L88 cam in it full roller. My question is how streetable is it going to be some guys i know have told me not to do this and other guys have told me to do it. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks Mike

·
Premium Member
2,001 Posts
The L88 cam was designed for use with open headers and a 4:10 or higher gear ratio. The LS6 cam or an aftermarket cam would probably work better on the street.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Mike, If you have high compression, 11:1 or so the L-88 cam will work, rough idle, low vacuum to brakes. Not really a good driver cam, especially if you have less compression. Besides, that cam grind is over 30 years old, new cam profiles will make more power and idle better. I suggest you contact a few cam co's for a recommendation, Be ready with lots of info, surf into some cam web sites, Crane, comp cams etc. Thats the best advise I can give you, what someone else is running might not be right for your combination. Good Luck, Glenn

------------------
http://msnhomepages.talkcity.com/yosemitedr/quintillis/index.html

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
though Im a L-88 fan,glenns right,just because it works for my combo,does not mean it will work for your combo.I run 4.88 gears,so the drivability aint bad,exept for the 4000 rpm at 65 mph.I would advise 12-to-1 comp ratio for this cam.this is a 30 year old grind,yes,but one that works,for my combo.also I run big carb,big intake runners and big exaust,and lots of cam-2 fuel,this is a give and take cam grind,Im happy with mine.but one word I can say ,and many others will agree----------RESEARCH!do some massive home work on this dude,dont end-up dissapointed, Good luck------67RAT member #199

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Mike, welcome to Team Chevelle. Have you ever spoken to anyone running the L88 cam?

It is a very long duration piece and required lots of compression, not 11:1 , but 12:1 or over to work well IMO.

The duration at 0.050 is in the mid 260 range, so the power band for a 454 would be something on the order of 4300-7300 rpm, give or take.

I swapped mine for a shorter duration Crane solid grind when I chopped the pistons down to yield a 10.75:1 CR.

Like 67RAT, I know a local racer who says he's tried many grinds and goes back to the L88 grind every time. 454 +.100, 13:1, 5.33's and a 4500 stall 2 sp. It's an 1/8 mile drag car.

If you post your car and mill specs I'm sure the "brain trust" here at TC can point you in the right direction. Off the cuff, I'd say a solid roller with about 240 duration @0.050 and .600-.620 lift will give you a lot more punch for the street. The lobe separation angle depnds on power accesories. If you have P/S, P/B you want to stay at 112/114, if you don;t then a tighter LSA will give you more power accross the cam;s range with idle quality as the giveup.

Believe me, I have a 1970 crate L88, I'd love to run a OEM cam in, but unless you;re setup like 67RAT, you'll have a quicker ride with a different grind.

Post your specs, see what the boys tell 'ya!

------------------
Chaas
Gold #62/ACES
67 SS396/L88

·
Registered
313 Posts
My experience was with a high winding 427, so factor that in. A friend had a L-88 in a 66 Vette. Yes it was the 12+ to 1 compression motor, I was running a crate L-78 in my Velle and we'd cut the premium with AVGAS at the local airfield every weekend. 4spd, 4.88 gear, and he gapped the headers. One bad MoFo. Held idle just fine. Babe magnet.

I'd run that cam in yours, just do as others have said, keep the CR high, rear numerically high, add some octane booster, and let her rip. You'll love it. Remember the LS7 was supposed to get the even more radical ZL1 cam, so 454's should still breath just fine with the L88 cam. Only limiting factor may be revs. I understand the new roller cams can't rev due to the extra weight causing valve float if you try to keep your foot in it. Why not go mechanical flat tappet and just adjust the valves once a month or so? A little practice and its not too bad, just keep the oil off the headers!
jmw

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.