Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have that set up on my rear, when I return home on saturday I will look at it and measure it for you. My rear is not installed yet (but the backing plates are), but it doesnt interfere.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hey MJRIBEIRO, not to try to get you off track, but I looked into the LS1 brake swap. It is pretty simple, and I never really read anything about interference with the ebrake cable/lever. But I was also not able to find too much regarding getting the ebrake to actually work. With that said I decided to go with the mid 90's Z28 calipers/backing plate with built in parking brake. They are the same as the Baer Kits and the correct ebrake cables can easily be purchased from Baer or custom built! Feel free to ask me any questions, as with everyone else I have only mocked up my brakes, but I have seen plenty of pics/instructions on the Z28 swap.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
I have the LS1 brakes and if you have a stock width 64-67 12-bolt, the parking brake lever will hit the lower control arm mount. If you switch the brackets side-to-side it works then (caliper will be on the front side, just like it is on the LS1 f-bodies). The parking brake then pulls rearward. I still have to figure out what cables will work. If you have a 68-72 12-bolt, then the parking brake lever should clear just fine with the calipers on the rear.

·
Premium Member
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Randy - here's a picture of Jim's '64. That slot on the bottom is where the brake lever would protrude from correct? I'm thinking the lever extends out far enough to make contact when engauged? or just when at rest. That almost seems like enough room in there. Is there another bracket that holds the cable to the backing plate? That might get in the way too....But I'm guessing that could be moved or modified. When you described flipping the brackets I guess that would put the lever at the 12:00 position, but needing to be pulled rear wards. I'm getting bummed out....I was hoping to get a matching set of front and rear c5 calipers using the ls1 brackets in the rear. Kore 3 has a 12 bolt setup for 'LS1 brackets', hoses and bolts - no calipers or rotors for $700.....ouch!

Does anyone have a photo of this troublesome ebrake bracket???? ....I want to introduce it to my grinder and welder.....

Auto part Vehicle Tire Wheel Rim

taken from:

http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/data/500/Rear_disc1.jpg

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
That slot on the bottom is where the brake lever would protrude from correct?
Mike,
That is correct.

Is there another bracket that holds the cable to the backing plate?
There is another bracket (actually a "wire form") that holds the e-brake cable up and out of the way of moving suspension components. It bolts on to the lower control arm rear bolt.

Kore 3 has a 12 bolt setup for 'LS1 brackets', hoses and bolts - no calipers or rotors for $700.....ouch!
:eek: Outrageous price.

Backing plates from GM are about $100 a side, rotors are generally cheap and calipers are slightly north of $200 (loaded!).

Joe

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Backing plates from GM are about $100 a side, rotors are generally cheap and calipers are slightly north of $200 (loaded!).

Joe
shoot, my front C5 calipers were $85 apiece brand new from gmpartsdirect, I'd imagine the rears are cheaper. i bought my rear calipers used tho

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Randy - here's a picture of Jim's '64. That slot on the bottom is where the brake lever would protrude from correct? I'm thinking the lever extends out far enough to make contact when engauged? or just when at rest. That almost seems like enough room in there. Is there another bracket that holds the cable to the backing plate? That might get in the way too....But I'm guessing that could be moved or modified. When you described flipping the brackets I guess that would put the lever at the 12:00 position, but needing to be pulled rear wards. I'm getting bummed out....I was hoping to get a matching set of front and rear c5 calipers using the ls1 brackets in the rear. Kore 3 has a 12 bolt setup for 'LS1 brackets', hoses and bolts - no calipers or rotors for $700.....ouch!

Does anyone have a photo of this troublesome ebrake bracket???? ....I want to introduce it to my grinder and welder.....

The backing plates do not have the cable bracket on them(separate piece?). The actual ebrake lever hits the lower c/a mount. It is too long by only 1/4"(a 68-72 axle should have enough room). When I flipped it, the levers are still on the bottom (switched sides), so the ebrake pulls rearward. You can't put it at the top since the bolt pattern on the axle is not symetrical (unless you modify it). It does look like I can use the lower control arm to put a cable mount on it. We'll see when I get to that point.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Mike,

Joe
When I priced out new backing plates from GM they quoted me about $400/side. That's in Canada but the prices can't be that much different.

I did ebay a complete LS1 rear brake setup from Fparts salvage for a couple hundred though. Great guys to deal with and they always have them up for auction.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The first time I got a quote they told me $100 but that turned out to be just the dust shield, not the actual backing plate. If that's for sure the right part number then I guess they were trying to rip me...glad I didn't buy them.

Salvage yard is still cheaper for the entire setup though.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts