Team Chevelle banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
I going the same way that Philip and Mike did with an in-tank pump. Doing a 6.0/4L80e swap in my 72. I did install the "sock" prior to installing the pump assembly in my tank. Using Bosch pump 69225.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Hey George, because the fuel pump or it's pickup needs to be immersed in fuel all the time, I usually recommend something like the Aeromotive Phantom setup that places a foam bucket around the pump in the tank.

Here's what I ended up doing. It's a stock non-return ZL1 pump good to 900hp and a VaporWorx controller powers it. Red circle is a Tanks Inc. tank vent I hosed to a charcoal filter up behind the bumper.

Attachments

Reactions: Geo71

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Dennis, what brand of in line pump are you using? Inline pump would be less trouble than a in tank pump. If it isn't really noisy. I don't like noisy pumps.

Thanks

Eric
It’s a Holly pump. I mounted it with the isolation clamps which is important.

·
Administrator
16,194 Posts
The shape of the tank makes most of the aftermarket pump systems unusable for a wagon tank. The good thing the shape of the tank works well without the need of sump in the tank.

Here is a stock fuel pick up next to the modified one with a pump. The tube was bent to allow the pump to set vertical in the tank with the strainer on the bottom.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hey George, because the fuel pump or it's pickup needs to be immersed in fuel all the time, I usually recommend something like the Aeromotive Phantom setup that places a foam bucket around the pump in the tank.

Here's what I ended up doing. It's a stock non-return ZL1 pump good to 900hp and a VaporWorx controller powers it. Red circle is a Tanks Inc. tank vent I hosed to a charcoal filter up behind the bumper.
THe wagon tanks are a lot different than the car tanks.

The in tank pump setup in my Tanks inc pump works ok, but for racing (which is primarily what I do), there has to be over half tank of fuel. If not, it runs out of fuel at the top of first gear till i hit second and the fuel moves back to the front of the tank. Wish i would have known about this before buying the tank...I looked into getting the farm from the phantom setup, but don't think they are selling it separate.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The shape of the tank makes most of the aftermarket pump systems unusable for a wagon tank. The good thing the shape of the tank works well without the need of sump in the tank.

Here is a stock fuel pick up next to the modified one with a pump. The tube was bent to allow the pump to set vertical in the tank with the strainer on the bottom.

Philip,
the modified one, did you buy a replacement sender unit and modify it? Or did you have a spare original unit?

·
Registered
445 Posts
In process of doing the swap on my Cutlass, bought a Aeromotive Stealth II tank for it with the 340 pump.

I think it's going to be much better than Tanks Inc. setup that I have on Chevelle, and it was couple of $$ cheaper. It came assembled and ready to be dropped in. 6an supply and return.

Attachments

·
Administrator
16,194 Posts
Philip,
the modified one, did you buy a replacement sender unit and modify it? Or did you have a spare original unit?
I have a spare tank and sender. AFAIK wagon tanks and sending units are not reproduced.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I did something like Philip using the Delco EP381 pump. The goal was to use as many parts store available pieces as I could. I haven’t road tested it yet, and it’ll probably be any other month or so before I do.

That being said, I don’t love having a fuel tank outside the rails so I am seriously considering using an El Camino tank from a tanks inc or equivalent. It will mean cutting out the storage area under the floor, but I’m OK with that.

I should have some pictures in my signature of what I did, but like I said, it’s a lot like what Philip did.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts