Team Chevelle banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wagon has a 454/ 700r4 in it. Pulled it out due to oil leaks and little bit of oil burning. Trying to decide whether to stay with it or swap in a 5.3/ 6.0.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to address the fuel pump? I see Holley has a new inline pump that is supposed to be quiet, but I have my doubts. Also saw they have a retrofit fuel pump housing deal that might work.

I've done a bit of searching, not really found much info.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
I used a walboro in line right by the tank with a corvette regulator/filter on my 6.0. Works good

Reactions: 67_LS1

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I'm running a Tanks, Inc. internal fuel tank with the Corvette regulator / fuel filter. The regulator return is on a short length of return hose to the fuel tank because I have a "returnless" fuel rail at the intake manifold.

Rick

Reactions: Geo71

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used a walboro in line right by the tank with a corvette regulator/filter on my 6.0. Works good
Is it noisy at all? In my 71 is a tanks inc tank with a walbro in tank pump and its ok. Tried a Holley Blue at one point and it was terribly noisy.

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm running a Tanks, Inc. internal fuel tank with the Corvette regulator / fuel filter. The regulator return is on a short length of return hose to the fuel tank because I have a "returnless" fuel rail at the intake manifold.

Rick
Do they make one for the wagons? That would be awesome.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Is it noisy at all? In my 71 is a tanks inc tank with a walbro in tank pump and its ok. Tried a Holley Blue at one point and it was terribly noisy.
Honestly no, sounds like a in tank pump. I have heard the holleys and they are very noisy.

·
Administrator
16,196 Posts
I put a fuel pump in my stock 72 wagon tank. Wasn't hard to do, no modification to the tank except for a vent line. The car has 17k miles on it without any fuel issues...except for the one time I ran out of gas :eek: It will pick up fuel with no starvation with as little as 1/2 gallon in the tank. When I ran out the tank was empty.

·
Registered
1969 El Camino SS396
807 Posts
I run twin Aeromotive A1000 pumps on my car. They can be mounted in tank or external. Mine are external and surprisingly quiet. I'd also suggest running their pump controller to vary the speed of the pump.

Attachments

·
Registered
1964 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu 4 door
1,739 Posts
I run twin Aeromotive A1000 pumps on my car. They can be mounted in tank or external. Mine are external and surprisingly quiet. I'd also suggest running their pump controller to vary the speed of the pump.
Lol, it's hard to take the sound advice of a guy running a 10:1 429 with half an exhaust!! l:):beers: :wink2:

I'm running the Tanks Inc tank with the in tank 255 Walbro. My exhaust is loud but you can still hear the pump. It's not overly loud but noticeable if paying attention.

around the 27 second mark:

While seeing if anyone has had this same issue I ran across this video, it's pretty well put together and the end result is great.

Looking up DeatschWerks they do have inline pumps, but I do not have any longevity info on them. I asked the guy that posted the above video how the pump is doing, hoping he replies.

https://www.deatschwerks.com/line-fuel-pumps

My buddy is running Bosch inline pumps in his pickup but keeps burning them up, thinking he's victim to knock off pumps?

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Rick
I looked on their site and no tank for the 72 yet.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I run an in-line pump and a Corvette bypass filter. I can here the pump when I turn the key on but cannot hear it at all with the engine running. It’s pretty darn quiet.
I had the same thing on my 67 convertible with an LS1 and had over 100k mikes without an issue.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I put a fuel pump in my stock 72 wagon tank. Wasn't hard to do, no modification to the tank except for a vent line. The car has 17k miles on it without any fuel issues...except for the one time I ran out of gas :eek: It will pick up fuel with no starvation with as little as 1/2 gallon in the tank. When I ran out the tank was empty.
I would like to do this, not sure how to do it. I installed the tanks inc tank, but it was just put it together.

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I put one in my tank when I did my LS swap...wasn't that difficult to do.

I think it's a far better better idea than an inline pump.
An in tank pump would be my preference. Not sure how to go about it.

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A buddy runs one of those on his coyote swapped Fairmont wagon. Never paid attention to when it was running. He likes it alot.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
There's a company that makes a kit to retrofit a late model in tank Factory style fuel pump in older vehicles I forget who it is. I deal a lot with aeromotive. They make either a tank with the fuel pump ready to bolt in or a retrofit kit for your tank for old Chevelles. I have a big block and quadrajet and I'm going with an in-tank electric fuel pump for the reliability compared with diaphragm engine driven fuel pumps that you can get any more

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There's a company that makes a kit to retrofit a late model in tank Factory style fuel pump in older vehicles I forget who it is. I deal a lot with aeromotive. They make either a tank with the fuel pump ready to bolt in or a retrofit kit for your tank for old Chevelles. I have a big block and quadrajet and I'm going with an in-tank electric fuel pump for the reliability compared with diaphragm engine driven fuel pumps that you can get any more
Yep I have a Tanks Inc tank with the efi in tank pump in my 71 malibu...problem with the wagons are the tanks are in the rear driver side fender and more vertical. There is a storage compartment where a coupe’s tank would be.
I was at a buddies place today, he has a gbody cutlass. He is running two aem 340 pumps inline. They are pretty quiet, was surprised. May just go that route.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
I run an in-line pump and a Corvette bypass filter. I can here the pump when I turn the key on but cannot hear it at all with the engine running. It’s pretty darn quiet.
I had the same thing on my 67 convertible with an LS1 and had over 100k mikes without an issue.
Dennis, what brand of in line pump are you using? Inline pump would be less trouble than a in tank pump. If it isn't really noisy. I don't like noisy pumps.

Thanks

Eric

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lol, it's hard to take the sound advice of a guy running a 10:1 429 with half an exhaust!! l:):beers: :wink2:

I'm running the Tanks Inc tank with the in tank 255 Walbro. My exhaust is loud but you can still hear the pump. It's not overly loud but noticeable if paying attention.

around the 27 second mark: 1964 Chevelle LQ4 swap night idle, T56, Elgin E1839P cam - YouTube

While seeing if anyone has had this same issue I ran across this video, it's pretty well put together and the end result is great.

DeatschWerks DW200 installation - YouTube

Looking up DeatschWerks they do have inline pumps, but I do not have any longevity info on them. I asked the guy that posted the above video how the pump is doing, hoping he replies.

https://www.deatschwerks.com/line-fuel-pumps

My buddy is running Bosch inline pumps in his pickup but keeps burning them up, thinking he's victim to knock off pumps?
Here is my tank / pump noise.

https://youtu.be/e0hYAVUu9n0

1 - 20 of 30 Posts