Team Chevelle banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbor has a 1999 Silverado with the 4.8. It has coolant in the oil. He has a line on a 5.3 from a 2004 Avalanche. Will that engine drop in with no issues?? The computer for the 4.8 shouldn't have any issues, as long as he uses all of the sensors from the 4.8, correct? Is there any difference with the reluctor wheel??

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think that will be the same, my 05 is 24 tooth and the 99 definitely is. I don't think you will have much trouble with that, the sensors from the 4.8 should be the same as the 5.3. I'm sure others with a lot more knowledge will jump in. Hotwire, you got your ears on?
Mark

·
Premium Member
4,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is he planning to use the intake etc from the 4.8?
Everything external should be transferred from the 4.8 to the 5.3.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
The tune in the PCM for the 4.8 will be a little lean supporting the 5.3 liter engine. There is likely enough adaptability in it to cope with that change but I'd still look at the Long Term and Short Term Fuel Trims in the streaming OBD2 data once he gets it running. Lean = a hot combustion chamber. Both engines should use the same 26 pounds of fuel per hour injectors.

He might need an operating system slight tune change to help with providing more fuel to the injectors and more airflow.

Rick

·
Registered
1964 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu 4 door
2,264 Posts
Lol, I do Mark.

Should be fine, everything will swap over no problem. As Rick mentions above it would be advisable to get a new tune so that the ECM is happy. The small increase in displacement may just be outside the 4.8 tune parameters and could potentially run lean in certain situations.

·
Premium Member
4,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lol, I do Mark.

Should be fine, everything will swap over no problem. As Rick mentions above it would be advisable to get a new tune so that the ECM is happy. The small increase in displacement may just be outside the 4.8 tune parameters and could potentially run lean in certain situations.
It still has to pass emissions, so I don't think that a tune will work. I may just tell him to keep looking for a 4.8.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
There are no external indications on the engine that it will be a 5.3 liter motor in place of a 4.8. And a smog inspector would need to be very sharp to see the difference in calibration numbering inside the PCM if he cared to pull the cals during his connection to the OBD2 port.

Dished vs not dished pistons viewed through a spark plug hole would be the other distinguishing item.

Rick

·
Premium Member
14,295 Posts
The PCM's in these vehicles are very versatile, may not need a tune!!

·
Super Moderator
16,305 Posts
The PCM's in these vehicles are very versatile, may not need a tune!!
It will need a tune to run right. The PCMs can be versatile but the software is much more specific.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I believe the PCM connectors are different from the 1999-2002 to 2003-2007 models. I believe the 2004 PCM has the Blue/Green connector, while the 1999-2002 has the Red/Blue connector. I dont think those can be interchanged.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
With some slight rewiring, those later 1 megabyte P59 PCM devices can be used with the earlier engines. I think that maybe the only advantage here might be for a two or three bar operating system being available. Maybe, not too sure.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Yes, I believe they are all 24 tooth in the Gen 3 engines no matter if its a 4.8 or a 5.3 liter mill.

Rick

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
With some slight rewiring, those later 1 megabyte P59 PCM devices can be used with the earlier engines. I think that maybe the only advantage here might be for a two or three bar operating system being available. Maybe, not too sure.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I'm running a P59 green/blue ecm in my car with an earlier LS. Faster operating speeds, couple more tuning options, and support for drive by wire or drive by cable.

Only thing is if you're worried about emissions they may give you a hard time if the VIN in the ecm doesn't match the vehicle.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm running a P59 green/blue ecm in my car with an earlier LS. Faster operating speeds, couple more tuning options, and support for drive by wire or drive by cable.

Only thing is if you're worried about emissions they may give you a hard time if the VIN in the ecm doesn't match the vehicle.
And let me be the first to say that Project Salty is guaronteed to put that super wide child like grin on your face! Guaronteed!! :D:LOL::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Hello Jeff,

For any vehicle we discuss on this site, 1980 and older, with a thirteen character VIN, its going to be impossible to put a modern 1981 and later seventeen character VIN into a P01 or P59 Powertrain Control Module or any other modern PCM. It just doesn't comply with the format of modern VIN numbers.

Tuner Pro RT can't do it. HP Tuners can't do it. I don't think EFI Live can do it.

Rick

Reactions: LeoP

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Hello Jeff,

For any vehicle we discuss on this site, 1980 and older, with a thirteen character VIN, its going to be impossible to put a modern 1981 and later seventeen character VIN into a P01 or P59 Powertrain Control Module or any other modern PCM. It just doesn't comply with the format of modern VIN numbers.

Tuner Pro RT can't do it. HP Tuners can't do it. I don't think EFI Live can do it.

Rick
Hey Rick, original question in this thread is discussing a 99 Silverado. While being in the off/on topic discussion I try to keep the original subject in mind. ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts