Team Chevelle banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Joe,

I have small block spring in my 67 w/350. I cut a coil off the springs. It gave me about a 1.5" drop and the ride was nice. Low cost and less work than swapping spindles. If yours is 68 and up you could go 1/2 coil at a time.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Joe,

I have small block spring in my 67 w/350. I cut a coil off the springs. It gave me about a 1.5" drop and the ride was nice. Low cost and less work than swapping spindles. If yours is 68 and up you could go 1/2 coil at a time.
Not much more work to replace the spindles than to replace or cut springs. You already have the spindles disconnected from the at least one A-arm. It is however lower cost but if you dont mind spending the extra $150 spindles are a more superior way to lower the car as your steering and handleing geometry doesn't change. IMHO.

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
...spindles are a more superior way to lower the car as your steering and handleing geometry doesn't change. IMHO.
Actually, lowering with springs changes the camber curve for the better (still bad, but not as bad), and most drop spindles either screw up the steering geometry or require 17"+ wheels to keep it as mediocre as it was originally.

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
I used stock springs all the way around. Cut 1 full coil off the fronts. I like the stance and ride. Think the pair of fronts cost $50.00. Cut off tool makes easy work on the spring. Also good to know it improves over stock geometry,thanks for that info Derek. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Cut coils here. Works and rides great.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From your responses so far, springs are the way to go.

Next question would be..... do I get the HOTCHKIS or EIBACH springs with the -1" built in? Or do I get MOOGs and cut off a coil?

I am not worried about the 150.00 the springs cost, I just want to do whats best for my comfort and drivability.

Does anyone know the STOCK ride hieght for a 71 Chevelle w/ a small block, A/C, 15" rims and 245/60/15 tires? I measured mine and from the ground to the (front) wheel opening and it is 26 inches.

·
Premium Member
27,555 Posts
I installed the Eibach kit in my '67 Sedan...nice ride and perfect height.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts