Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have replaced:
-battery
-alternator (converted to internal reg. 80 amp)
-battery cables
-power wires

i am running:
-2 X Electric fans (one is controlled by thermostat)
-holley electric fuel pump (red)
-unhooked the stereo

i have checked:
-battery
-checked for short with car off
-voltage is only 13 VOLTS
-timing is correct
-belts
-bad wires

i have new 2AWG groud wire to the block and to the frame and a 12AWG wire to the fender

i have new 2AWG pos wire to the ford start. sol. and a 2AWG wire from the ford sol. to the starter.

i have a new 8AWG power wire from the alternator

12AWG to hei from IGN, new MSD 8.5 wires

idle - 13 volts
2500 - 13 or lower volts

after driving around, or reving the engine for a while it drains the battery...i dont know what else to check or replace

any help would be greatly appriciated.

------------------
69 Chevelle Malibu
My Chevelle

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Alternator is not charging the battery, but you already know that. I assume that the 13 volts you measured is out of the back of the alternator. Does this car have an idiot light. Is it off or on? It should be on.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the alternator does work i had it bench tested AND it has been tested in another car...so i dont think the alternator is the problem (voltage was 14.2-14.5). since i have owned the car i have had 6 different alternators in it (2 X orig. 60A ex. reg., 2 X 108A int. reg, and 2 X int reg 80A) all have had the same problem.

John:
the voltage is the same at the back of the alternator and the battery, and yes, the idiot light does come on when the key is turned then turns off when the engine is running.

also i forgot to say...i smell burning rubber (at least that is what it smells like) at higher RPMs...it comes from the alternator area

thanx for the help.

------------------
69 Chevelle Malibu
My Chevelle

·
Administrator
16,160 Posts
69 your alternator is NOT working while on the car. bench testing has shown the unit is good so something must be wrong with your wiring conversion. If you can't read 14.2 volts while the car is running your battery will go dead!
click here and read this

Philip

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my alt is wired correctly (#1 to blue wire to brown wire, #2 to pos terminal) however i am not sure of the integrety of the blue, brown or the rest of the wires or connectors on that circit.

1. what could the burning rubber smell be?
2. should i replace the wire to the idiot light?
3. anything else i should check?
4. belt tention couldnt do this could it?

thanx

------------------
69 Chevelle Malibu
My Chevelle

·
Administrator
16,160 Posts
Belt tension could be a factor. If you can turn the alt pulley by pushing on the cooling fins with your hand it is not tight enough.
To check the wire integrity disconnect both ends and check for continuity. If you suspect that the wires have melted into each other check for continuity between them.

Rule of thumb when checking for an alternator charging is to have ~2 volts higher at the battery when running then not running. Philip

1 - 6 of 6 Posts