Team Chevelle banner
81 - 100 of 122 Posts

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
11,012 Posts
In the 70's my friends older brother had a 69 Boss 302 Mustang with a 4 spd that he raced at the local DS, I seen a large hole in his hood one day when I was at my friends house and asked what happened, clutch went through the hood, but safety/scatter shields prevent that, used to think if it didn't have 3 pedals it wasn't a Muscle Car, I also learned how to drive with a 3 on the tree 61 Ford truck, took my driving test in my dads 67 Ranger with a Police Interceptor FE engine & G-gear 4 spd blown out muffs and a tail gate that wouldn't close, guy giving the test couldn't wait to get the heck out of that stinky exh smelling truck but passed me

·
Premium Member
14,347 Posts
Coming from a manual trans guy I will admit that for drag racing purposes an automatic definately has the advantage. For other types of racing the manual trans is still the trans of choice. I'm willing to bet the majority of Chevelle owners on this site are not serious drag racers. I know some are as I see their posts and if I were them I would be running an automatic transmission as well.
For a street car, a muscle car, a manual trans just makes the car. The connection between driver and car is improved with a manual trans.
For anyone that has traveled to Europe, one of the first things I noticed was they are not obsessed with cell phones. The other was the vast majority of their cars are manual transmission.
I personally own three vehicles. All three including my DD are manual transmissions. Although I will admit driving a manual in rush hour traffic is a pain. Fortunately I don't have to do that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I started my tool and die apprenticeship in GM Oshawa in 1965. I saved every penny and walked until I could afford my first new car, a 1066 Sport Deluxe Beaumont, 283, AUTOMATIC. The two speed automatic, while reliable, was terribly slow up to 30 mph. A year later I traded a guy for his 1966 SD 396 Beaumont, 4 speed car. I have had a 1968 Ram Air 400 Firebird, automatic, a new 296 COPO 427 Chevelle and various other cars over the years, including an L78 M21 4 speed 1969 Chevelle that I freshened up in 1997. For me, the stick shift is half the fun of having a performance car to drive around. We presently have a 2005 Corvette with the six speed. This is the most fun car that we ever had. We have a no winters 1997 Oldsmobile LSS with the supercharged 3.8 for family use when we need the extra seating.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
My Son and I went to a local Classic Car Show and came upon a 2008 ZO6 with a 6 Speed Trans. The Owner of the Corvette had told my Son that when he was in the market to purchase a Corvette, the Salesman had asked Him "Do You Want to Drive the Car or Do You Want to Steer the Car? The Corvette Owner replied to the Salesman that he wanted to Drive the Car and that is Why He had Chose a 6 Speed Manual Transmission.

·
Registered
1966 Malibu, 327, Muncie, 3.23 posi
447 Posts
When people look at my car or ask about it, there are two features to my car that seem to make it special:
4-speed Muncie

I don't drive my car all that much. So owning a 4-speed is not a hinderance. But I could see if it was a real daily driver, getting stuck in traffic with it would be a pain.

I have a question for all here:
Let's say one day my Muncie goes bad and needs a rebuild. Is it cheaper to convert to auto than to restore the old 4-speed?

·
Registered
13,843 Posts
When people look at my car or ask about it, there are two features to my car that seem to make it special:
4-speed Muncie

I don't drive my car all that much. So owning a 4-speed is not a hinderance. But I could see if it was a real daily driver, getting stuck in traffic with it would be a pain.

Let's say one day my Muncie goes bad and needs a rebuild. Is it cheaper to convert to auto than to restore the old 4-speed?
I rebuild, and have been rebuilding, 4spds (mostly Muncies) for over 50yrs, and in my book, whatever it takes to retain a good 4-5-6sp, is worth the expense. I'm just a hardcore, fanatical, unreasonable, died in the wool 4sp (or 5 or 6sp) person.
SOOOOOOOOOOOO many people are tired of exercising their left knee, getting too old, drive in too much traffic, just plain tired of shifting or whatever excuse etc, etc, etc, etc. I'm 79, and my ancient brain (and rebuilt knees) just will not compute driving a car with an auto tranny, ESPECIALLY, EXPECIALLY a performance, muscle, hotrod, whatever street car.
In my book, a hi-perf Mustang, SS Chevelle, GTO, Corvette, 442, Road Runner, Super Bee, HEMI car, and other types of performance cars (or a daily driver 50yr old Ford pickup with a 3sp on the column) with an auto tranny are just as wrong as 2 boys having sex.

·
Gold Founding Member
5,915 Posts
Coming from a manual trans guy I will admit that for drag racing purposes an automatic definately has the advantage. For other types of racing the manual trans is still the trans of choice. I'm willing to bet the majority of Chevelle owners on this site are not serious drag racers. I know some are as I see their posts and if I were them I would be running an automatic transmission as well.
For a street car, a muscle car, a manual trans just makes the car. The connection between driver and car is improved with a manual trans.
For anyone that has traveled to Europe, one of the first things I noticed was they are not obsessed with cell phones. The other was the vast majority of their cars are manual transmission.
I personally own three vehicles. All three including my DD are manual transmissions. Although I will admit driving a manual in rush hour traffic is a pain. Fortunately I don't have to do that.
I agree with Brad here, I still really enjoy driving a manual trans car. Autos are better for drag racing but I dont race even though the 496 in my Chevelle makes 600. I have put 300,000 miles on my Z28 convertible with the 6 speed, if it had an auto there is no way I would have kept it this long.
I've never seen anyone walk up to a car at a car show and say "cool, its an automatic".

·
Registered
306 Posts
Knee pain...there is a alternative. Don't get stuck at a light, if you do, shut it off at the light and put it in 2 gear, then hit the key. Then match the rpm's to gears and shift. Same with down shifting. Did this for a while on a car when I was younger until I got the linkage staightened out. :D

·
Premium Member
14,347 Posts
It would be significantly cheaper to rebuild an existing Muncie than it would be to convert to an automatic. Not as much as it would be to convert an auto to manual but considering you already have all the parts the cost to replace some of the parts would be cheaper 5han starting from scratch.

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
When I raised our 3 girls, the daily drivers were always automatics. We went to many car shows with the family. My oldest daughter always loved C3 corvettes. When she was at the shows (not even old enough to drive) she would look inside to see the transmission type? If it was an auto, she stopped looking…. If it was a stick she really checked it out further. Fast forward after college, she wants a C3 stick, but still does not know how to drive one. We find the car and I get it home and get it fully safe and operational. She would take it out around the neighborhood to perfect her new shifting skills.

I have completed 2 auto conversions. my Chevelle to a Muncie and my wife’s C3 to a BW 5 speed.
Manually shifting any performance car just makes it more fun.

But it’s like vanilla and chocolate ice cream, people have their favorite flavors.

I’ll always choose Chocolate manually shifted please.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
So with a 4.10/4.11 rear gear ratio, do you really ever use 1st gear? What I mean is, wouldn't first gear be more useful with a 3.55 rear gear ratio? In which case, having the 3.55 gears or even 3.08 gear for that matter, would make your double overdrive 6th gear kind of overkill, no?
It's a close-ratio trans with 2.66 first gear
Drag racing I shift out of first at 6000rpm at 41mph.
For autocross, on really small courses I run it all the way to the 7200 limiter at 50mph in first. Bigger courses I run in 2nd up to 75mph.

I've been planning to upgrade to a stronger T56 Magnum, but can't get the 0.5 ratio 6th gear in a Magnum.
I might put 3.70 or 3.89s in the rear if I have to go with a 0.63 6th.

My Corvette has 3.42s with the same transmission ratios. It works pretty good drag racing with plenty of power, lighter car, and only shifting twice crossing the stripe in 3rd at 122mph. For autocross, it would be between gears a lot... 1st too low for the fast parts, and 2nd too high for the slow parts.

·
Premium Member
14,098 Posts
It's a close-ratio trans with 2.66 first gear
Drag racing I shift out of first at 6000rpm at 41mph.
For autocross, on really small courses I run it all the way to the 7200 limiter at 50mph in first. Bigger courses I run in 2nd up to 75mph.

I've been planning to upgrade to a stronger T56 Magnum, but can't get the 0.5 ratio 6th gear in a Magnum.
I might put 3.70 or 3.89s in the rear if I have to go with a 0.63 6th.

My Corvette has 3.42s with the same transmission ratios. It works pretty good drag racing with plenty of power, lighter car, and only shifting twice crossing the stripe in 3rd at 122mph. For autocross, it would be between gears a lot... 1st too low for the fast parts, and 2nd too high for the slow parts.
Have you ever considered the Magnum TR-6060 manual trans? It's supposed to be more durable than any T56, (so they say). After blowing my T56 in my supercharged 2005 GTO, I bought a TR-6060 from this place.And it survived my daily beatings...

Tick-Built Magnum Transmissions (tickperformance.com)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
After 38 years of driving a 13 speed road ranger in city traffic, changing gears 1,200+ times a DAY, shifting the 4 speed in my '66 Chevelle is just a joy...:D
Pugs, people either like a manual or don't. I grew up with all 3 speed, 6 cylinder cars and passed my driver test with a 3 on the tree. Neither of my parents owned an automatic trans until 1988. I have had many automatics and my Silverado and CR-V are both auto. I don't mind them for DD work. The Muscle cars are just toys to play with on occasion. Well, I do mind the CR-V some. Strangest damn transmission, being constant velocity. You never really feel it shift and after almost 2 years, it's still a little weird to drive.
Oh, and during the restoration of my '67 Camaro rs/ss, I swapped out the pg for a Muncie...;)

·
Premium Member
18,991 Posts
HE'S RIGGHT! Aw com'on throw the wise kid a bone! Let him row it!

Potentially higher MPG and lower ET.
<Lower ET, not with me as a clutch artist! Really hard to launch a 3.31 oem geared stick car. And yes, slushbox-running ladies can beat my pants off the line.

The cats running modern GM muscle have a few electronics tricks like ' RPM matching" that really makes that 6 gear run quarters better than a 4 gear. Another reason I had BIG ENVY at the track racing modern muscle. WE all be shifting, only me in the stone age! A full second behind the rest!

Guess if i was a pro driver, rowing 15 gears 5 days a week @75mph , for sure I'd prefer a slushbox for my pleasure boat. OR I could be a real man like Mitch!

For now, I'd like to source a modern 6 speed "rpm matching" drag mule I can trash the snot out of at the track. Wont do that to Old Red. Plus, as said GIRLS beat him off the line with shushboxes. One ought never knowingly step on your ego/ confidence like that!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
"Guess if i was a pro driver, rowing 15 gears 5 days a week @75mph , for sure I'd prefer a slushbox for my pleasure boat. OR I could be a real man like Mitch!"
My Pete only saw 70+ for 4 months of the year, when I threw the sleeper back on, grabbed a 53 footer and put her nose in the wind on the big road. The other 7 months was spent pulling an end dump, hauling sand, gravel, blacktop, etc locally. If I got up to 60, it never lasted more than a few miles before I had to stop or turn again. I'm quite certain I spent about 2 years of that 38 sitting at stop lights or crawling along in traffic...:rolleyes: I could, however, bench press 600 lbs with just my left leg...:p
Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Automotive tire

·
Registered
1969 Grand Prix. 455 TH400 12 bolt.
378 Posts
HE'S RIGGHT! Aw com'on throw the wise kid a bone! Let him row it!

<Lower ET, not with me as a clutch artist! Really hard to launch a 3.31 oem geared stick car. And yes, slushbox-running ladies can beat my pants off the line.

The cats running modern GM muscle have a few electronics tricks like ' RPM matching" that really makes that 6 gear run quarters better than a 4 gear. Another reason I had BIG ENVY at the track racing modern muscle. WE all be shifting, only me in the stone age! A full second behind the rest!

Guess if i was a pro driver, rowing 15 gears 5 days a week @75mph , for sure I'd prefer a slushbox for my pleasure boat. OR I could be a real man like Mitch!

For now, I'd like to source a modern 6 speed "rpm matching" drag mule I can trash the snot out of at the track. Wont do that to Old Red. Plus, as said GIRLS beat him off the line with shushboxes. One ought never knowingly step on your ego/ confidence like that!

You missed the first word of my sentence and I'm bigger'n Mitch. So there. I was talking like Motor Trend criteria. My POS, 300K, FWD, S/C, 3.8L V6, 4T65E-HD might eat my miled out POS, 7.5L, 3.31 posi, TH400 junk's lunch at the 60 foot mark. Last time I was at a track was in 2006 with a 400.

·
Premium Member
18,991 Posts
and there is THAT! AMEN!

Matt, I hear ya! Modern muscle ate my lunch at the TnT. They're rowing too - 6 gears, and the Vette had some sort of " RPM Match" setup. Dang, they even get "shift assist!".

81 - 100 of 122 Posts