Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 122 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,837 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,828 Posts
great topic Pugs! and as for your skirt showing... you made him look! 🤣

After driving a transfer trailer and a two stick as an MSE OP for the start of my military career, you'd think the old knees would be fine.... But no they are tired and beat up with Army life and activities... The right knee is worn out left is right behind it. getting the replacements asap...
It is super fun driving a decent car with a standard trans... Lot's of fun for a short time... not in this city traffic.
Auto is the way for this old soldier now. Even the new SEV's we have are Auto. see below!
As for the autos were made for women to drive... maybe a good selling point and love the old ads!... but women were driving standards for a long time before that ad came out. Yep in the Army too!
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Are you suggesting a Jetta Diesel could be fun?
More fun than the same car with an automatic. Maybe "fun" is a strong word. How about "less boring"? Though it is fun to drive an under-powered manual trans crap box because you can drive it like a race car, but you don't go fast enough to get a ticket.

·
Premium Member
4,837 Posts
great topic Pugs! and as for your skirt showing... you made him look! 🤣

After driving a transfer trailer and a two stick as an MSE OP for the start of my military career, you'd think the old knees would be fine.... But no they are tired and beat up with Army life and activities... The right knee is worn out left is right behind it. getting the replacements asap...

View attachment 745870
Yeah, but it gave you forearms like Popeye the Sailor.

Popeye The Sailor (1933) | All Fiction Battles Wiki | Fandom

Reactions: Capt Casey

·
Gold Founding Member
5,903 Posts
Fun car HAS to have a stick for me, even though I have a bad right arm (8 surgeries in 10 years) I still love a stick. Twice I have put autos in my 70 Chevelle, I hated the car. I almost sold the car but both times I just put a manual back in, this time for good. If I get to where I cant drive with the stick then I will sell the car.

·
Premium Member
1970 El Camino SS396, VortecPro 467, ATI TH400, Moser 12 bolt /TruTrac 3:42, Hedman headers
1,416 Posts
Kinda an old story revisited…4 speed vs auto, Chevy vs Ford, macho vs wimpy…newer Vettes…quicker with a auto, sexier…nope. Everybody loves to row….up to a point. The newer autos aren’t your fathers Powerglide. Love the feel and sound of a 4 speed, but like the E.T. of the auto.

·
Registered
1969 Grand Prix. 455 TH400 12 bolt.
319 Posts
My current junk is all auto but I support the auto daily driver with manual weekender. Had one stick X body and two As, during my times.

It depends on your commute, if you have one of those.

Stick was cheaper to buy new. It went the way of manual windows.

Not all are created equal though. The first time I drove a slave clutch I died a little. I was like... "They've done gone and messed up stick now, too."

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Ive had a lot of stick daily drivers, and one thing for me is durability -- I can almost guarantee I won't have any trans issues, knowing how to not abuse a clutch / synchros. There's just less to go wrong. I sold my daily Cobalt Turbo SS with 12yrs/140k on the original clutch.

In the hot rodding world, it eliminates the work of getting the right torque converter. You get to figure it out with your left leg! And you can't bump start an auto.

With that said, I much prefer an auto for drag racing. I can drag-shift a manual fine, but a good dragstrip launch.. just feels so breakage-prone.

-Dave

·
Registered
13,764 Posts
I hear so many guys going on about how great a standard transmission is.
I for one don't have any more time to waste in my life so I find a 4 speed auto to be very comfortable leaving my hands free to prepare my favorite cake mix or surf the web. What? You got something against Betty Crocker?

Let me here how cool the stick is guys and what makes you better than me, ha...........
NO ONE, NO ONE, NO ONE, SAID THEY WERE BETTER THAN YOU IF THEY HAD A MANUAL TRANSMISSION (stick)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But, there is a community of drivers (me included) who simply prefer a manual transmission (stick) over an automatic. One of my biggest objections to an automatic transmission is that they shift when it wants to shift--------------------NOT when I want it to shift. For example, going around a corner and VERY SLIGHTLY easing down on the gas pedal and suddenly it down shifts. I HATE THAT! If I want to go around a corner, or gently accelerate while in 3rd gear---------------I WANT IT TO STAY IN 3rd, NOT JUMP DOWN TO 1st GEAR!
For me personally, there are more down sides to having an automatic transmission than there is with a manual transmission.

Reactions: JJ'65

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I have used both as daily drivers. As far as fun goes, to me a car is a way to get someplace these later days. I like the simplicity and reliability of a standard transmission. Suppose you would have bought your Chevelle new with a Muncie 4-spd, and you don't tow with it, and you live in flatland, and don't pretend race driver on public streets. How often would you need transmission servicing over 200,000 miles for example. Never, unless you have to remove it get to the engine for some reason, and you spill a little. My $0.02

However, if I lived down in LA and commuted daily to work, I'd have an automatic.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
NO ONE, NO ONE, NO ONE, SAID THEY WERE BETTER THAN YOU IF THEY HAD A MANUAL TRANSMISSION (stick)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But, there is a community of drivers (me included) who simply prefer a manual transmission (stick) over an automatic. One of my biggest objections to an automatic transmission is that they shift when it wants to shift--------------------NOT when I want it to shift. For example, going around a corner and VERY SLIGHTLY easing down on the gas pedal and suddenly it down shifts. I HATE THAT! If I want to go around a corner, or gently accelerate while in 3rd gear---------------I WANT IT TO STAY IN 3rd, NOT JUMP DOWN TO 1st GEAR!
For me personally, there are more down sides to having an automatic transmission than there is with a manual transmission.
My two rides these days are an '89 Toyota pickup and an '08 Corolla. Both 5-spd standard trans. A lot of times I just shift 1-3-5 if I won't jam traffic behind me. No need to antagonize the many whackos out there. Many of them carry guns...

·
Premium Member
4,128 Posts

·
Registered
15,988 Posts
And who really needs two over drive gears???
Me. F-body T56 ratios are awesome paired with 4.11s in my Chevelle.
80mph at 2000rpm in 6th cruising speed getting 18mpg.
140mph at 5700rpm and still pulling in 5th on the front straight at Road America
75mph at 7200rpm banging the rev limiter between cones on autocross

It's perfect for everything. :)

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
🤔 A man making baked goods, and driving a automatic…🤪 just joking 🙃

41 - 60 of 122 Posts