Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 113 Posts

Registered
A stick can make a boring car fun. I had a 2004 VW Jetta diesel for a while. The 100hp and 177 lb-ft would have put me to sleep with an auto. With the 5 speed stick, it at least kept me awake.
My Beaumont is a 700R4 auto, but the 11 second quarter mile times make it fun to drive. The car does have 3rd pedal for "future plans".

Premium Member
Left Knee with 1 surgery, 2 athroscopic procedure's, and the old knee is not what it once was.
Getting stuck in traffic or a long drive, and I'm starting to rethink the 4 speed I have now.
Getting old sucks.

Registered
I have T56's in both my Chevelle and my daily-driven C6 Z06 Corvette.

The driving experience is more fun. It's occasionally a hassle, eating breakfast on the way to the racetrack has to wait until I get on the interstate... other than that, it's all better.

Perfectly nailing a heel-toe downshift is about the most exciting thing you can do legally in traffic anymore.

Registered

Premium Member
Rochester, New York
I'm in the "daily driver - auto, classic car - stick" camp, but not my wife.

Her first car was a stick 1966 VW bug, and to this day every car she has owned since then has to be a stick shift, as in her 1972 Type 3 squareback and 2017 GLI.

Reactions: 71350SS

Registered
I did stick shift racing for several years with an LS/T56 combo. Ran 10.60s, which was fun most of the time. But the parts breakage got to me and I swapped for a different combo. Suspension, clutch, gears, etc.

I gotta say though that a full manual valvebody/transbrake TH400 is friggin' awesome. Would recommend!

Registered
sticks better than auto.... nope.

somedays driving around a stick is a pain and id rather have a auto. The reason i am stick is i appreciate the engagement of driving with a stick shift. Its usually more than a auto, even with a full manual shift setup. Are sticks better than auto on the highway, not any more. With todays lock up converters you get the best of both worlds.

Cost wise.... i am WAY more into my stick shift setup than i was with a auto. Clutches, flywheels, Hyd throw-out bearings, spare parts. Weight wise, i am on par with a 4L80 i bet right now.

At ends day... its your car, build and drive what you want!

Registered
I love stick cars for fun driving, but love automatic cars even moar when it comes to winning races. Drive your stick car, race the automatic car. After NHRA outlawed four speeds in 57 Chevy stock class cars, I went to a three speed. Even though I went as fast with a three speed, breakage was a real pain in the azz. One of my sponsors offered to pay most of the cost if I put an A1 powerglide in the car. I held my nose and did the swap. First time out with the Glide I went almost three tenths quicker than I had ever gone before. Made me a real believer in automatics.

Registered
Love Stick? Why?

It's the MANLY thing ta' do.

Naw, seriously my daily's and show cars are auto. It is fun though to row the gears at the track with my gasser.

Premium Member
A stick can make a boring car fun. I had a 2004 VW Jetta diesel for a while. The 100hp and 177 lb-ft would have put me to sleep with an auto. With the 5 speed stick, it at least kept me awake.
My Beaumont is a 700R4 auto, but the 11 second quarter mile times make it fun to drive. The car does have 3rd pedal for "future plans".
Are you suggesting a Jetta Diesel could be fun?

Registered
I'm on the stick side probably cuz I learned on a stick. When I met my wife she was driving a 55 2 door wagon stick and we still have it. Forced all my kids to learn on sticks. even the one that said why I don't want a stick. All my trucks except my new pos are sticks. Something about running through the gears or tacking it up and dumping it, then power shifting at 6500 does the trick for me which is why I'm looking for another Nova :)

Registered
I love shifting gears in my car and I guess that will never change, Yes the auto is more consistent and more conformable for some people but I am just not that person. Like they say to each his own.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Left Knee with 1 surgery, 2 athroscopic procedure's, and the old knee is not what it once was.
Getting stuck in traffic or a long drive, and I'm starting to rethink the 4 speed I have now.
Getting old sucks.
I have an issue with my right foot. Need to brake with the left at times.
Without cruise control, I couldn't go for long drives.
I feel your pain...... :(

Reactions: Capt Casey

Registered
I was raised with the notion that 鈥渞eal鈥 cars had sticks, and at times it can still be a lot of fun, but it is mostly a pain in the butt now. My car mostly sees laps around town and moderate speed cruises on the back roads and having to shift all the time just gets old. My car was originally an automatic, so I would have no issue putting it back that way, but by the time I had the desire to do it, I had already wrapped up so much money in my manual parts, that I couldn鈥檛 bring myself to do it. I DO admit though that in this day in age I get a thrill knowing I can do what so many now can鈥檛, drive a stick and do it well.

Registered
More control.. you can feel the power through the shifter. The sound when you shift. . A manual trans car is a totally different car. I will admit... shifting does get old sometimes.. I must be getting old..

Premium Member
Because I love doing it the old fashioned way. You can hammer it a bit for fun and noise easier than an auto. You can do stuff with the clutch for fun and entertainment. Learned to drive in a 37 Ford flathead 3 on the floor.

I have three, the 66 Chevelle (TKO 600), Mustang Bullitt (Tremec 3650) and an 89 Mustang four banger, (T5).

Also a 10 speed auto Mustang GT. I will admit that I have not got the hang of, or need for paddle shifters yet. The 10R80 seems to do very well in full auto mode.

Premium Member
For many years, all I ever owned was stick cars.
Because being known as "Mr. 4 Speed" is cool.

"Mr. Automatic", I don't think so..............

Taz No No No GIF - Taz No No No Nope GIFs

21 - 40 of 113 Posts