Team Chevelle banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

starting to think about my next project.

I need a new exhaust system for my 72 street car
It's a built up 468 with 2" Hooker headers and 3-1/2" collectors. Figure 450-500 HP.

I like my car to be loud and lumpy.

Who makes the loudest street legal mufflers?

Also, what size exhaust system should I be running? I will replace the entire system for my next project and don't know if I should go with 2", 2-1/2" or 3" for each side.

Also, should I consider one of those "crossover" X-type systems where the two sides connect to eachother?

and what about drag racing dumps? those "Y" type fittings that are normally closed for the street and then you open them up if racing? Should I consider those or stay away from them?

I only go to the strip once a year. 99% of the time is on the street. I drive the car hard on the street though - I do a lot of 1/8 and 1/4 mile runs in the local industrial parks on weekends when nobody is there.
thanks.

lee

·
Registered
763 Posts
I run a 3 1/2" exhaust system all the way from the collector to the rear of my car. I have Hooker Aerochamber mufflers; 3 1/2" in....3 1/2" out.
I LOVE IT!

·
Registered
237 Posts
The loudest muffler I ran on the street was the Dynomax 4" bullet race muffler. Sounded as though there was not a muffler on it at all. For my current project I'm going to use the single chamber Flowmasters which are probably just as loud. A friend a while back ran the single chamber Flowmaster and again didn't sound much different than open headers.

As for size, I don't think it would make much difference between the 2 1/2 or 3". I ran 3" two chamber Flowmasters on a 406 SB that was putting about 450 HP to the rear wheels and Flowmaster recommended the 3". I don't know about the H-pipes or X-pipes because I have never run them. I also have never used those cut-outs. If I wanted to open the headers up it was just a little more work to pop the exhaust off. I'm sure others will provide more infomation.

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
Way beyond my comfort zone, but I just listened to a big block at the custom exhaust shop in town. 3 inch pipes, X pipe, electric cutouts with spin tech mufflers. All mandrell bends with ceramic coating. It was so incredible when they fired it up, the entire construction crew across the street just stopped and stared. Stopped me dead in my tracks. Incredible sound, like a dang race car. My guess, in 6 months he will be back for something quiet. But it was awesome. You'll also need the cam to amp up that sound.

·
Premium Member
3,222 Posts
I have a Torque Tech 3" mandrel bent system with Flowmaster Super-40's and an X-pipe. This system is not for the faint of heart. It was backing up a stout 468 BB that has since beeen sold and is gone. This spring it will thunder to the tune of 496 cubic inches! I can't wait!

Good Luck :thumbsup:

http://www.torquetechexh.com/

·
Banned
1,435 Posts
On my 632, i've got 3.5" pipes going into Flowmaster 50 series big block mufflers into 3" Flowmaster tailpipes and love it. The mufflers are huge so they actually muffle the sound without restricting the motor. The system is loud enough to draw attention but not so loud that I can't listen to the cd player or have a comfortable conversation in the car.
:beers:
Mike

·
Registered
754 Posts
I have a 3" x-pipe back to Hooker Maximum Flow muffs, then 2 1/2" tails. It is actually very quiet at idle and light throttle. A couple of weeks ago, I tried some 3" turndowns straight out of the muffs and it was too loud for me - might be just the ticket for you, though!

·
Registered
738 Posts
Hey Lee, if you plan to keep your HP in the 450-500 range, I'd suggest a 3" system instead of anything smaller. For the loud factor, throw on a set of 3" Dynomax bullet mufflers. I'm using a complete 3.5" setup with a set of 3.5" Dynomax bullets and it is VERY-VERY loud under throttle and definitely loud at idle and cruising.

You want noise? Not much beats a set of 3" open pipes! :)

·
Registered
383 Posts
I ran a Torque Tech 3.5 into 3 at the X-pipe with Super 40s. Sounded like a Pro Stock car. Drove it for 3 months, got bagged by the cops for noise, got towed, got my registration suspended, got invited to 2 hearings at the Registry, and got the inspection station screwed who stickered me, all in one night. I'd say they were pretty darn loud.:yes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts