Team Chevelle banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I developed a noise in my engine that upon partial disassembly turned out to be two of the three bolts that bolt the timing gear to the cam had backed out and were hitting the timing cover. Apparently, I forgot to locktite them or install a cam lock plate :clonk: the cam dowel is now missing ( probably in the oil pan and won't come out ) and I need to replace it. can you purchase a new cam dowel? can you just remove one from another cam? are SBC and BBC cam dowels the same size? any answers or comments much appreciated.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
the cam dowel is now missing ( probably in the oil pan and won't come out ) and I need to replace it.
You don't think that recovering the old one before it gets caught in the rotating parts is a viable option?

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
Get the old one out .
a stick of cold formed dowel from the hardware store will work. take your calipers to measure ....
Do not use hot formed , it is not round...
Trying to remove an old one usually buggers them up...and a light polish is all the dowel from the store will need....
Usually sold in 4' sticks

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
I can't imagine that the old one will cause any trouble. It'll just lay in the bottom of the pan. In fact it might even come out in an oil change sometime. It's worth a try doing that right now.

I wouldn't monkey around with hardware store stuff. Just knock the one out of an old cam. Although, I'd be VERY surprised, if the hole in the cam sprocket didn't get wallowed out; in which case the dowel pin won't really do anything anyway, there's still be slop in the system, and allow uncertainty in the cam timing. Might be a good idea to take a real close look at all the parts.

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
We use the hardware store stuff in the roller chevy cams that require the longer dowel..and it works great ..The key is cold formed

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
we dropped the oil last night to see if it would come out w/ no success. we're going to try a flexible magnet to see if we can get it from the top side. can't flush it out in an oil change as i need it in the cam before i can button things up. we're trying to locate an old cam, but everyone seems to throw them out, go figure:D. whatever i use it will definetely be locktited in as well as the cam bolts :yes:. maybe this is fate's way of telling me I need a new bigger cam :D.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anyone know how long I should be cutting the dowel if I use cold roll? it's a comp cam solid flat tappet if that matters.

·
Registered
534 Posts
For a SBC they measure .246" x .635"

I just pulled one out of a cam if you want it PM your mailing info and I'll get it sent out.

Might not be worth it time wise .. but is here if needed.

edit: I just reread and am thinking you have a BBC .... dont know if they are interchangeable myself

·
Registered
938 Posts
jack the front of the car up as high as you can get it and bang all over the pan with a rubber mallet.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
jack the front of the car up as high as you can get it and bang all over the pan with a rubber mallet.
Sounds like anger management. :eek: Shouldn't you be getting ready for the track instead of playing on the net??????? :boxing:

Seems like you could run a strong magnet on the outside of the pan towards the drain plug and fish it out with a pair of hemostats. Might work.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
stole a dowel out of a SBC hyd roller. SBC and BBC dowels are interchangeable apparently. fished around in the oil pan w/ a flexi magnet for about 10-15 min to no avail. thinking about going with sheetmetal's advice after I get things bolted back up again. I'll use a rubber mallet though:D. have to do a quick oil change after anyways to get any coolant out that might have found it's way into the pan before I put the Royal Purple in, maybe it'll come out then if the hammer trick doesn't work. thank for the all the help guys :thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.