Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My best friend and father in-law just lost his job and must sell his Chevelle. It is unfortunate but at least he has the car to sell. Please let me price it for sale.

I was a long time member of Camaros.net and know this forum will be as helpful to him as you Camaros.net was to me in my time of need.

I will try to list all the details I know about the car.

Stats:
1970 Chevelle Malibu
307 original motor has been replaced with a new re-manufactured 350 (less than 100 miles on it)
Original 2 speed Power Glide
Was a metallic green originally but is now Black (paint job is marginal)
Holey 750 Carb
Edelbrock Performer RPM AirGap intake
MSD Pro Billet Distributor
Long Tube Headers (I think Hooker)
Flowmaster dual exhaust with 40 series mufflers
QA1 Front coil over shocks and springs
4 wheel Dumb manual breaks
Stock Rally wheels
New tail lights and trim
Original white bench seat interior
Column shifter
Trunk battery relocation
New BFG tires
10 bolt rear (not sure of gears but I will check this weekend)
New bumpers
Very little rust and I have looked the whole car over and have had a lot of rust buckets so I know where to look. I was quite surprised how little rust the car has.

The car will be at my home in norther VA for sale in a week or two and I will be selling it for him.

I think it is worth $15,000 but would like your expert opinion and advise.

I plan on putting it on classiccartraderonline.com, ebay (just for the leads), craigslist, and in my front yard where I get thousands of commuter car traffic ever day.

I wish I had the funds to buy it my self but times are hard on all of us.
Thank you,
JohnJohn

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
My opinion is that it would be difficult to get $15,000 in the current economic situation. In your description, you describe the paint as "marginal" and the body as "how little rust it has" (suggesting there is some rust). The modifications take away a little value, in my mind (battery in the trunk, black paint, non original engine, and carb). Does it have a vinyl top or A/C?

I would have to say $8,000 to $10,000, based on the description. If you can post pictures, that will help with the estimate. Others may be more helpful and have a better idea.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response.

It does have the original black vinyl top, and solid original floor pans. One inner fender was rusted from the battery tray area and was replaced.

It also came with the original AC and I believe he has it but replaced the original belt system with a dual serpentine system from March Performance.

A cowl induction hood was added but is still in the black primer.

I will get more pictures to post but here is one image that I did have of it next to my camaro.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
It sure would help if you could get that hood painted. I'd have to agree with Ed on the 8-10K range. Put it up on Ebay with a reserve, you never know.

Mike

·
Gold Founding Member
64,242 Posts
My opinion is that it would be difficult to get $15,000 in the current economic situation. In your description, you describe the paint as "marginal" and the body as "how little rust it has" (suggesting there is some rust). The modifications take away a little value, in my mind (battery in the trunk, black paint, non original engine, and carb). Does it have a vinyl top or A/C?

I would have to say $8,000 to $10,000, based on the description. If you can post pictures, that will help with the estimate. Others may be more helpful and have a better idea.
yep, yep and yep :yes: (except for the last $10,000) :noway:

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
I'm palying......The price is right!

Put me down for $12,000 with advertising with the best ads possible and top dollar. But ask 15 and let someone think they're getting a deal ;)

We here in "The Price is Right" cannot stress that enough. Lots and lots of pictures and a very long and detailed description of everything.

·
Registered
13,007 Posts
I'm thinking more along the lines of 8K give or take a few dollars. Draw backs, bench, column, drum, 10 bolt, tranny, paint. It's a tough economy for cars like this that have a lot of money put into them but not in the important/ money places.
Close to what I was thinking. It's also not a "cowl induction" hood, it's an "SS Domed hood"

·
Premium Member
4,126 Posts
FWIW John, here's a couple of cars I bought recently. Grey one I believe is an original SS 454 as it had a CRV rear. The green one is a clone, but well done only missing a BB and posi. 14.5 and 13.7 respectively, both functional C.I., tach and guages, buckets and whatever. I also think where the car is for sale will have a bearing on it. I happen to be fortunate enough to be in a highly populated area which makes selling a car like this easier. Good luck with your sale and I hope everything works out for the best. Sorry, I couldn't load the Grey car's pictures. My friend TROY!!! has dial-up and his pictures are as big as the farm!!!! Dave, fix this for him will you please????

·
Registered
13,007 Posts
LOL! I'll see what I can do. Consider yourself lucky he could get any pictures to you at all. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
Try to look at it from the perspective of someone that walks up to the car and is seeing it for the first time.

"marginal paint"
maybe some rust
2 speed trans. (not good on gas)
column shift
original bench seat interior (probably needs work)
battery in the trunk

Summary of a buyer: Need to spend money on body work, paint job, different transmission, new interior, change battery location. Lots of $ and time.

In todays market, lets be realistic.
He will probably offer somewhere between 5k and 8k.

·
Registered
289 Posts
FWIW John, here's a couple of cars I bought recently. Grey one I believe is an original SS 454 as it had a CRV rear. The green one is a clone, but well done only missing a BB and posi. 14.5 and 13.7 respectively, both functional C.I., tach and guages, buckets and whatever. I also think where the car is for sale will have a bearing on it. I happen to be fortunate enough to be in a highly populated area which makes selling a car like this easier. Good luck with your sale and I hope everything works out for the best. Sorry, I couldn't load the Grey car's pictures. My friend TROY!!! has dial-up and his pictures are as big as the farm!!!! Dave, fix this for him will you please????
Seems like a great buy on that one, hope we get to see the grey one too.

·
Premium Member
7,454 Posts
I'm palying......The price is right!

Put me down for $12,000 with advertising with the best ads possible and top dollar. But ask 15 and let someone think they're getting a deal ;)

We here in "The Price is Right" cannot stress that enough. Lots and lots of pictures and a very long and detailed description of everything.
And don't forget... "Have you dog & cat spayed and neutered" :D

·
Premium Member
5,756 Posts
The only positive that can be stressed is that it is a chevelle and a 70. Everything else has to be explained or apologized for. That puts you in a selling position of weakness not power. 50 % will see it as needing so much and most of the rest will look at it as just neat car if it is cheap enough.

I certainly think more than $5K but do not turn down $8K no matter how much it hurts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the great information guys. I think you are right about $8k to $10k reality but lets see what happens. I am selling it for him in a week or two.

I cant beleive I misrepresented the cowl induction hood. I just forgot Chevelles have the flap style inductions that are so cool.

I sold my original 69 Camaro Convertible RS for $32k 2 years ago but the economy was better then and my car was in better condition that my father in-laws Chevelle.
I am now restoring a 77 Bronco. I know it is a Ford, but there are limited choices when you want a classic 4X4. I was just sick of the car shows and Sunday trips to get ice cream in the Camaro and wanted something I could hit the woods with the kids that was still a vintage collector car.

I live 40 min from Washington DC so the people with money are hear. I also think that a $10k to $15k car can sell faster than a $20k or $30k car just because there are more customers at the lower dollar amounts. Only time will tell.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
went to a very popular car show this weekend in l.a. approx. 600 cars. first, as usual, this show brings in incridable cars, really killer stuff. second, i was amazed how many of them were for sale, and besides the few who were trying to get the bizillions they had invested back, there were some real cars at very decent prices. one was a 70 torino, that was top shape from top to bottom and had a huge crowd around it, custom paint, outstanding engine compartment, all high end, high performance parts....14k, a 1965 drop top chevelle, 327,4 speed, showroom condition 17,500. i had tears in my eyes the whole day, there are never deals like this when i have $....there was a 63 t-bird for 8900, and it needed nothing, very strong car, i couldn't find anything wrong with it, all original, but very well taken care of.

from what i see, the real cars are still bringing the big $, but the marginal models have plummeted. yes i do see people asking real $, but those cars are not selling, it's the guys who were holding on by a thread who are bailing, and taking the market with it. there were several s.b. chevelles in the craiglist this week at 8,500, in this area, it's been years since i've seen a good daily driver chevelle under 10k.....

·
Registered
229 Posts
Just remember.. the BUYERS in today's Market are Smarter
MC
As someone once said "You can't fix stupid" - - - I think the people that where smart 5 years are smart today - and the people that were not smart - are still not smart.
I still see just as many bone-head purchases and the same amount of over-pricing/over value.

·
Premium Member
7,454 Posts
As someone once said "You can't fix stupid" - - - I think the people that where smart 5 years are smart today - and the people that were not smart - are still not smart.
I still see just as many bone-head purchases and the same amount of over-pricing/over value.

Maybe it's just the crowd you hang with that is not smart ;)

Buyers overall are SMARTER.. and the fact that guys now are asking for insight from experts here at TC and through private emails is showing me that.. I see it first hand.. I am not sure what you do for a living or how involved you are in the buying and selling of Musclecars but I am speaking from what I see... and I see smarter Buyers..I see it privately and I see it at auctions. Sure there will always be dumb folks who Buy first and ask questions later.. but I see that less often today. and yes, I agree.. the people who were smart 5 years ago, are still smart...:yes:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts