Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using an HEI w/ a Mallory module & Accel coil, for years ... in my 70' Elky. Recently, this vehicle quit running, caused by loss of 12v power to distributor. I was a little surprised when I discovered the source of the problem .... And, this is what I found. ----- I was using the original harness wire (white,cloth fabric covered) for 12v. In the harness, behind the master cylinder, this wire had burnt through, but not it's covering. This was not near a connection or splice, which could have caused high resistence. Ran a new larger wire from fuse box to distributor .... and problem solved. I first thought the problem to be at the wiring harness bulkhead connection. I don't know if this is a common "problem", but hopefully this can help someone else.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess that resistor wire had the came function ... as the ballast resistor did ... on my 56' Chevy wagon, years ago. Makes sense!

·
Premium Member
6,740 Posts
Isn't there one of these HEIs that needs the resistor wire or ballest resistor? Mallory Unilite I think but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Mallory Unilite must be used with a ballast resistor or factory resistor wire.

I have to install a 4748201 unilite mallory on my 64 .
I have the factory resistor wire between the fusebox (and not the ignition switch) and the " + " coil.
I have too, a wire betwwen the starter and the " + " coil, so when you crank, you have 12v directly on the distibutor, right ?
So, is it dangerous about this wire from the starter ?
Do I need to remove this wire ?
Could you advise me a coil, I have to replace the old one.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
159 Posts
So, I verify on the harness, there is a black/pink wire connect with the resistor wire(white) on the " + " coil.
What do I do with the black/pink wire that goes from the coil to the starter ?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,740 Posts
If you're using a Unilite then you can use a stock replacement coil. You want the wire to the starter from the coil. As you said provides 12v while starting, provides a hotter spark. It's not necessarily dangerous, that's how it came from the factory. The resistor wire provides a lower voltage to the coil when the key is in run, not starting. Points or a Unilite module will burn up if run at 12v all the time.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thank you Hank

" You want the wire to the starter from the coil. "

what do you mean ??

So, finally ( ah!ah!ah! ) I have just to replace my old points dist by the unilite !

About the coil, can I use a Mallory # 30451 ?

http://go.mrgasket.com/ProductDetails.aspx?brandID=0&productID=27551&txtSearch=30451

I have ear about " fuse or filter " to prevent higher spark ( when using a sound amplifier sono) and then protect the unilite module to burn.
Do you have more infos about that ?

·
Premium Member
6,740 Posts
Davidmalibu said:
Thank you Hank

" You want the wire to the starter from the coil. "

what do you mean ??

So, finally ( ah!ah!ah! ) I have just to replace my old points dist by the unilite !

About the coil, can I use a Mallory # 30451 ?

http://go.mrgasket.com/ProductDetails.aspx?brandID=0&productID=27551&txtSearch=30451

I have ear about " fuse or filter " to prevent higher spark ( when using a sound amplifier sono) and then protect the unilite module to burn.
Do you have more infos about that ?
David, I see you're from France and I think we have a language problem, I'll try to explain again.

If you use a Mallory Unilite ignition and a stock replacement coil then you should use the the factory wires. Use the wire from the starter to the coil and the resistive wire to the coil.

If you use the Mallory coil # 30451 it says no ballast resistor is required. I am not certain what that means.
I cannot find an instruction sheet for that coil so I don't know if it will work with the resistive wire. The only thing I find is that a ballast resistor or resistive wire is not required. It does not say it will work with a ballast resistor or resistive wire.

If you do decide to use Mallory coil # 30451 then you could remove the wire from the coil to the starter. Then replace the resistive wire with a standard 12 gauge wire from the coil to the fuse block.

Hope that is clear.

Sorry I don't know about the "fuse or filter".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts