Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was driving down the road the other day the entire electrical system of my 68 chevelle shut down. Everything! I fiddled with the battery, got it home, installed a new Optima Red Top battery and huge brand new + and - cables with copper connectors. Worked great!

2 days later, same thing, car shuts down. Fiddeled with the alternator wire and for some reason I got the car started. Then, I got inside and put the AT trans in gear. The car shut down. I went through this about 4 times before the car would keep going. I have it at home right now and can't figure out what the problem is. It can't be the alternator or alternator wires because they don't cause the electrical system to shut down immediatley. I think it is in the ignition.

Can anyone please give me some input?

Thank You

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I had a situation like that on a '65 .... it ended up being the end of the wiring harness that plugged into the fuse block, firewall side. When it shut down, it was almost like the battery was out of it... no power to anything. Once I found the problem.... no more problem. Evidently it was corroding and lost contact because usually you never mess with that connection.

'bear

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Just wanted to chime in here, I have a 1970 and it was doing all sorts of weird things power wise, the gauges everything was not quite right. On the 70 there is a bolt that holds the inter and outer pieces of the fuse block together at the firewall. I took that all apart cleaned it up, smeared dielectric grease all over the contacts and it fixed everything. .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts