Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the great forum. I've been reading a lot of posts here over the past few days. I really like seeing everyone's backstories in the welcome section. Looks like a great community.

Well like the title says I'm here to learn and ask a few questions so I can hopefully surprise my dad with his dream car. My entire life he's been talking about his favorite, a Madera Maroon 67 Chevelle SS that he wrecked when he was younger. He's never been able to buy another one but he does own a lot of Chevelle toy versions, calendars, and shirts that we got him over the years. That was always the goto Christmas gift. Tools and something with a 67 Chevelle on it, ha. ;)

So fast forward over a few decades of me being a **** drunk of a son and my pops always being there for me regardless. Well in the past few years I finally sobered up, started a business, and I don’t quite know how it all happened but I’m finally in a position to do something big to pay him back. Of course it's gotta be the Chevelle.

I’ve been keeping an eye on ebay and some hot rod sites for a while, and a couple potential winners finally popped up but I saw a few details I wasn’t sure of, and so here I am. See I only really know the basics from stories and those toy cars, but I don’t know much in terms of restoration work and well I’ve actually never even sat in a real Chevelle before.

So here’s a few questions I was wondering about (If there's a better place to ask these just let me know, thanks!)

- Is it acceptable for a premium priced 67 Chevelle to have a different year engine in it? One I was looking at had a 68 I believe and I wasn’t sure if that’s common or not.
- Is it a concern if a car was restored but not rotisserie-restored? I've looked at the rotisserie rigs and I assume going that far indicates more detail and care in the restoration?
- How important would the power steering option be for a guy in his 70s? He’s still strong but I heard it can get tough to turn the wheel without power.
- Also do you think a standard would be alright for a badass old guy or should I focus on automatic so he can drive it for more years? I’m leaning towards standard because that’s what he had way back but I want to make sure the clutch won’t be too much on his knee, I know those can require a lot of pressure sometimes.

Thank you! I appreciate any insight and thanks very much for taking the time to read all this. Take care.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I couldn't begin to answer your questions. Not particularly because I can't but because the car your looking at is probably pretty expensive and I wouldn't want to push my preferences on you.

What I would like to do is commend you on your straightening your life out and getting the most out of it. Also your desire to do something so nice for your dad. I'm glad you have the ability to do that for him and I'm sure he will be very grateful for it.

There's many more people on here with the expertise your needing and I hope they chime in and you get the best car for the money that your looking for.

Good luck,
Richard

·
Registered
617 Posts
Welcome.

I think at his age, just having one that looked like his old one would be fine. Not the original engine is no big deal

IMO, yes on the power steering and automatic. At lot easier and he won't be as distracted while he's smiling and waving at everyone! :smile2:

Reactions: Kevin10

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Welcome Kevin, to Team Chevelle.....:waving:

Kudos for getting your life back on track and for looking for that '67 for your Dad. As mentioned, just finding a Maroon '67 at this point in his life would probably be more important than big horsepower. And much less expensive. I'm sure he would be happy with a 283/auto car that he could safely drive and enjoy. They're out there, just keep looking. Maybe someone here would even have one for sale. Check the classifieds right here on this site. Good luck in your search!

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Hey Kevin, first off welcome to the family and great stories. Like others have said, great job turning your life around. Like Augy said, don't focus on big horsepower. When it comes to the original drivetrain, I am not a purist unless is like the 1 of 200 ever produced. If it's a 67 with a 68 or even a plain 350, it will sound good and be fun to drive. When It comes to power steering, I feel that is a must, as you said, it could be hard to turn at lower speeds. Either way, a standard or automatic, I think your dad would be happy to see the car pull into his driveway. When you do find the car, record the moment you give it to him. Again welcome and we are always here to help.

·
Premium Member
12,724 Posts
Kevin, Welcome to the site. Congrats on turning your life around and doing something very nice for your father.
Getting to your questions. There are many out there with original engines. However being 50 years old and being performance a lot were swapped out. It is not uncommon to have an alternate engine. I would recommend the power steering. Not that your father couldnt drive one with manual steering but it will be more pleasant with power. Same goes for the brakes. I am a big manual transmission guy. If your father likes manuals then get him one. The only reason i would be hesitant if he hasnt driven one in 40 years it may be a bit of a learning curve. Also you dont say what part of the country you are from. If it is south then you may consider air conditioning. In many parts of the country it may not be needed.
The last thing I would like to tell you is be cautious about which car you buy. I would stay away from dealers unless you dont mind over paying. You dont say where you are located but there are people on this site that know a lot about these cars and could be had for inspection purposes. As far as ebay DONT buy a car off ebay without having it inspected/looked over by someone that is familiar with these cars. Many cars are misrepresented by the sellers. New paint could be hiding shoddy body work and that is more common than you would think. Last thing you would want to do is buy your father his dream car only to find out it is a lemon.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
It all comes down to time and money, if you can afford a perfect driver that looks how you want it, get it. I would say get Power Steering if possible, but as long as you aren't paying for an original car, it is fairly easy to install. Same with the transmission, if he likes a stick, get one, and convert to auto later, easier than the other way around. From what I have seen on this site, it is more expensive to change color, and interior, than basic mechanical configuration. I would love to convert my El Camino to buckets with console, but it has a very nice cloth bench and for the money to get it all, basically for looks, I could put A/C in it.
I got my El Camino from my dad who is 78 now and he just plain loved to drive it, he has zero care about number matching original cars, but doesn't like hacked up stuff either.
My concerns would be
1 - zero rust, period
2 - attractive
3 - drivability
To me that is the order of difficulty in time and money to correct. (unless you are dealing with maintaining/correcting original numbers matching)

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I would try to get a car that was fairly close to what he had but I agree with the other posters on here it needs to have a few things and/or can be converted easily. Power steering, power DISC brakes (front at least), and automatic and a few other creature comforts will be nice. An original engine not needed a 396 would be nice but I am sure he would be happy with the car no matter what. However, it needs to be easy for him to drive, look good and drive well. A stick is nice but the knee and you know its one less thing for him to focus on. Stay away from the 4.10 rear end ratio he probably would be happy with a 3.08 or 3.42 for a little highway action. You may find one with a 4 speed automatic which is the best of both worlds. Spring Carlyle is coming in a few months you can get some ideas there not sure what your timeline / budget is etc. Great idea and he will enjoy whatever you get him.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Power steering for sure. If he had a four speed then I would go for one as long as he is physically capable of shifting one. The four speed is a big fun part of the driving experience. Good luck with finding a car for your dad!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Good job getting to where you are. I would look for one that most closely represents what is in dad's memory. Paying extra for #'s matching or concours restoration quality probably isn't necessary unless it matters to dad, and I bet it doesn't. Sounds to me that he had a dream and it got away from him...good for you to bring it back.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow! I didn't expect all of these great responses. Thank you so much for all the replies and the support too, I really appreciate that.

To answer a few questions, I am in the southwest and my dad is in the northeast, but I am willing to travel and cover shipping for the right car. I was actually looking at some dealership cars before I came here but I did get the sense they were overpriced so I wanted to learn more before I seriously considered them (thanks for the warning about those and ebay).

I really can't thank you enough for all this helpful feedback. I will be rereading all this later when I have some more time.

Actually, you know what, here is the exact car that brought me here wanting to learn more (since madeira maroons seem so rare I was considering black on blacks next which I know my dad would love too): 1967 Chevrolet Chevelle | Classic Cars for Sale Michigan - Antique Muscle Car, Auto Sales, Buy Old Cars - Vanguard Motor Sales

If anyone has the time to share their thoughts on that it would be really helpful. Even if it sells to someone else that's alright, at this point I am just so curious about what you guys think and knowing will really help me be aware of what to look for in the future.

I have to run for now but I will be around tonight to reread your posts and I'm happy to answer any further questions you might have. (My dad doesn't use the internet too much outside of facebook so I think I'm safe speaking openly)

Thanks again. Cheers.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Wow! I didn't expect all of these great responses. Thank you so much for all the replies and the support too, I really appreciate that.

To answer a few questions, I am in the southwest and my dad is in the northeast, but I am willing to travel and cover shipping for the right car. I was actually looking at some dealership cars before I came here but I did get the sense they were overpriced so I wanted to learn more before I seriously considered them (thanks for the warning about those and ebay).

I really can't thank you enough for all this helpful feedback. I will be rereading all this later when I have some more time.

Actually, you know what, here is the exact car that brought me here wanting to learn more (since madeira maroons seem so rare I was considering black on blacks next which I know my dad would love too): 1967 Chevrolet Chevelle | Classic Cars for Sale Michigan - Antique Muscle Car, Auto Sales, Buy Old Cars - Vanguard Motor Sales

If anyone has the time to share their thoughts on that it would be really helpful. Even if it sells to someone else that's alright, at this point I am just so curious about what you guys think and knowing will really help me be aware of what to look for in the future.

I have to run for now but I will be around tonight to reread your posts and I'm happy to answer any further questions you might have. (My dad doesn't use the internet too much outside of facebook so I think I'm safe speaking openly)

Thanks again. Cheers.
Very sharp car, way too rich for my blood. The people on this site will tell you all about it, I'm sure.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Here's one from a dealer local to me, I don't have any feedback one way or another about this place, but you can use this car for reference.

1967 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 396 | Family Fun Family Activities Family Events Family Fun Activities Family Vacation Places

another one, but convertible.
1967 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 396 | Family Fun Family Activities Family Events Family Fun Activities Family Vacation Places

Here is another dealer with (5) 1967 chevelles.
North Shore Classics

Good luck with your search. That will be an awesome gift!! I would also vote for PS and PB. I have a 4speed and its a lot of fun to drive, but it would be a deal killer if I had bad knees and couldn't push down the pedal. sometimes in stop and go traffic during rush hour I'm glad to finally get out and be done with all the shifting.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Here's one from a dealer local to me, I don't have any feedback one way or another about this place, but you can use this car for reference.

another one, but convertible.

Here is another dealer with (5) 1967 chevelles.
North Shore Classics

Good luck with your search. That will be an awesome gift!! I would also vote for PS and PB. I have a 4speed and its a lot of fun to drive, but it would be a deal killer if I had bad knees and couldn't push down the pedal. sometimes in stop and go traffic during rush hour I'm glad to finally get out and be done with all the shifting.
It would depend a lot to me on what it looked like, but of all of those, I like this one
North Shore Classics :: 1967 Chevrolet Chevelle - MALIBU - TURN KEY CAR - DAILY DRIVER -
Is this purchase something you might end up with in the future? If so, then get what you like and think he will like, if not, maybe consider what will re-sell easier. A lot of those are customized in ways that a lot of people won't like, but I'm sure the previous owner loved the changes and was proud of them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys, those are some nice options. I'll keep them bookmarked while I continue to research and learn.

I noticed there's a "What's it worth?" section of the forum so I might try posting a couple cars over there to get a better idea of some values. I'm really curious about what the true value of that dealership 138 is too.

Thanks again and I'll be sure to post an update here if I settle on one.

·
Premium Member
12,724 Posts
Kevin, I took a look at the video of the black 67 at the Michigan dealer. From the video it looks like a nice car. If you are willing to spend what they are asking for that car there is no reason why you couldn't get a very fine 67. Your money would go even further or you could get a top caliber car for less money if you bought from a private seller. I wouldn't be surprised if that Michigan dealer paid $35K-$40k for that car and just did some clean up. Whatever car you decide on get lots of pics of all areas of the car and submit them in the what's it worth for review. If it passes there you may still want someone to look it over before you commit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Kevin, I took a look at the video of the black 67 at the Michigan dealer. From the video it looks like a nice car. If you are willing to spend what they are asking for that car there is no reason why you couldn't get a very fine 67. Your money would go even further or you could get a top caliber car for less money if you bought from a private seller. I wouldn't be surprised if that Michigan dealer paid $35K-$40k for that car and just did some clean up. Whatever car you decide on get lots of pics of all areas of the car and submit them in the what's it worth for review. If it passes there you may still want someone to look it over before you commit.
Thank you, blm! Your assessment makes a lot of sense and from what I've been reading you are spot on regarding the value.

For my budget, I started out hoping to find something in the $30-40k range but I've honestly had a hard time locating the right car for that amount. I've been hoping to find a black or madeira maroon 138 with all the options, ready to drive, which I realized might be an unrealistic expectation. So after getting a bit discouraged I decided I'd increase my budget for the right car and work it out later. The Michigan 67 is so close but for that price I think it has to be everything I'm looking for. For instance if it had been a 375hp with power steering I'd have bought it, but I think I am going to pass and stay on the hunt a while longer.

If you know of any leads on cars matching the above I'd appreciate em anytime! But either way I'm really grateful for you taking the time to share your knowledge with me. Thanks a million.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts