Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about purchasing a paint gun and I'm a little confused as to what might work. My compressor is spec'd at 8.6 cfm @40psi , 6.4cfm @ 90psi so I know I have some limits there. I also am not planning on any serious painting, mainly small touchups and maybe wood finishes - polyurthane, etc. I'm seeing smaller 'touch-up' guns and was wondering if they are only guns with smaller cups, or are there other differences? Do I need a filter/dryer or a dedicated hose (clean)? What about gravity feed vs. suction guns? I'm not wanting to spend big bucks, but would like to move up from rattle can technology.
Thanks for any info,
Bill

·
Registered
105 Posts
Check out www.eastwood.com they ususlly a finishline 2 gun set for around $100. It would include a touch up gun and a larger gun. For just some basic touch up you can probly get away with a basic disposable inline filter, and an adjustable regulator to attach right to the gun.

·
Registered
25 Posts
For your needs you can go with campbell hausfield, ingersoll rand,husky and many others. Most of their guns require approximately [email protected] Harbor freight has several as well that work(i use them for primer to avoid ruining a good gun). With that compressor you'll be hard pressed to spray for more than a minute or 2 non stop. There ia absolutely no need to spend $500 on a sata for your needs. The inline filter is definitely the way to go for you. The touch up guns generally have a smaller needle/seat size. For your needs you want a 1.4 or 1.5.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for the info. I've got a Harbor Freight just down the street, so I'll check them out. I might try Eastwood for a "next" gun if I get to that point.
-Bill

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
The HF guns are air hogs, you wont get much of anything done with those guns.
I think the best bet would try and see if you find a Sharpe platinum gun. They stopped making it a few years ago, but still can be found. That gun ran on 6cfm. You wont find guns that will run on your numbers other then the platinum.

I also think the inline filter will hurt you as they restrict your airflow

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Sevt-chevelle,
I noticed in your signature that you are working on How To videos. Cool! I have an audio production company that does all sorts of sound track work for broadcast and corporate video... if you need a pro narrator or sound mixing, let me know. I've been trying to find a way to get my car hobby and audio post business hooked up.
I'll also check for those Sharpe guns - thanks!
-Bill

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
For your needs you can go with campbell hausfield, ingersoll rand,husky and many others. Most of their guns require approximately [email protected] Harbor freight has several as well that work(i use them for primer to avoid ruining a good gun). With that compressor you'll be hard pressed to spray for more than a minute or 2 non stop. There ia absolutely no need to spend $500 on a sata for your needs. The inline filter is definitely the way to go for you. The touch up guns generally have a smaller needle/seat size. For your needs you want a 1.4 or 1.5.
I completely agree, for your needs a lower cost gun from Lowes or Home Depot is what you need. I've been using one from Lowes for my general purpose painting. It's a Kobalt smaller gun, silver in color with blue trim, 1.3 tip (i think) and has a gravity feed cup that mounts to the side of the gun rather then the top (allows more angles). It works great for spraying Epoxy Primer, Polyurethanes, ecetera. I have even done touch-ups on my 02' pick-up with metallic silver base and clear and it turned out great. All out of this little cheap gun.

Anyways, I think a Sharpe Platinum is way overkill (although it is a nice gun) for what your wanting unless you want to start painting cars for a living...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Look on ebay for the LV Platinum, I sold two on there not to long ago, both only used twice, one for $125 and the other for I think $150, YOu will pay almost that for a home depot gun and if you decide to sell it later you will get something for the sharpe. IMHO

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.