Team Chevelle banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying a 1966 Chevelle Malibu.. I have always wanted one and I think I may have found one. I don't want to spend too much money so please give me some advise on this ad...

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/2261588744.html

Is this worth it? I have seen the car in person. It needs work, but the body is straight, no rust.. I ran a magnet around the entire car and its solid. I'm all about metal work, but know nothing about motors and such.. The car runs and has a 350 in it. It seems nice to me. What are your opinions? What should I ask the seller? What else should I look for? Please help!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Your miles ahead if it is truly a clean body. Being near the ocean, you might want to check the window channels and under any vinyl roof very carefully. Remember finding
a Gulf Coast Chevelle that wound up being junked here in southern New Mexico. Strangest rust I ever saw, the roof panel (non vinyl to boot!) rusted out from inside out. Window channel under glass was gone, as well as inner package tray and entire trunk floor and fuel tank braces. yet all the body bolts threaded out and were rust free and usable. The roof and window channel and inner package tray rust was hidden, and not easily seen at first.

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
Looks like a nice driver, and if it's rest free would really make it worth it. You do realize the 350 isn't the original motor right?

·
Premium Member
6,734 Posts
Looks like a nice solid car. It does not have the correct seats though. They look like big car seats to me. Implala possibly. See how the chrome goes over the top of the seat. Not a Chevelle seat. 66 did not have the boxy seats that were used in 64/65. Looks like a great find even though.:yes:

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
I would care about what rear end it has 10 or 12 bolt, posi or non posi.
I would check the floor too. And all the gauges in the dash, if they work it´s a bonus IMO.
You should also ask the seller what is wrong with the car, or needs to be fixed.

Does it have power brakes, disc or drums, power steering, does the heater work, how stock do you wan´t it, how much power do you wan´t, do you have eny time to fix it up, will it be cheaper in the long rund to buy a finished car.. those are questions I would ask my self if in your shoes.

The car looks like it could need new interior and rear bumper, other than that I like it ! Love the rally wheels :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone! I ended up buying it, and I'm glad I did, only very little rust orund the back window which is typical and the seller had registration paperwork from 1970! it was a one family owned car. There deffinetly some work to be done, but that is what I wanted! Project 1 - Disc brake conversion!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Well great! If it was a one owner car it probably was never restored or modified, so that means check around for the build sheet and see where car came from and what the factory put in it! GM put them everywhere but usually under the rear seat foam and gas tank are common ones but others on here can tell you more places.

You might be surprised what you find! And congrats again!

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
Congrats ! You´ve come to the right place for a Chevelle owner. The guys here are amazing.
First off, you probably know but adding disc brakes mean you have to have the right proportional valve and valving in the master cylinder too. Check around, better with well set up manual drums than poorly matched disc´s, ask me how I know :) Drums can stop like a charm too. There recently was a pretty big thread about drum brakes. Cool read.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Welcome and nice find!! :thumbsup:
BTW, those are 64 impala seats, if you ever want to swap those out for chevelle seats, they will sell.
I think you did very well. Enjoy.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Check around, better with well set up manual drums than poorly matched disc´s, ask me how I know :) Drums can stop like a charm too. There recently was a pretty big thread about drum brakes. Cool read.
I agree. My 64ss is my daily driver. I replaced the brake system from the pedal out staying with the factory 4 wheel drum setup. (I'm a bit of a purist) The system performs very well in both the mountains where I live and the infamous Atlanta traffic I'm in at least once a week.

Cograts on the Chevelle. Looks like a nice car:thumbsup:

Tom
64SS

1 - 13 of 13 Posts