Team Chevelle banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im sure this is likely better suited in the body shop forum, so if thats the case feel free to move it over there.

Been looking into buying a welder and a plasma cutter in the near future. Searched through the welder posts to see what people like. Decided on a Millermatic 175 (I guess its called the 180 now).

However, not much turned up for plasma cutters when I searched. Are Miller plasma cutters as good as thier welders? A fellow club member has a Thermal Dynamics unit that seems to be a nice unit. I think he said he paid about 1,200 bucks for it.

I would be intrested in suggestions on a good plasma cutter. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
999 Posts
I have a small portable plasma cutter (I cant remember the model number I will have to check when I get home) I like it allot it doesnt have any problems other than it was tripping breakers until I realized the compressor and plasma cutter were on the same circuit. But once I changed that It ran great

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe the Thermal Dynamics unit I tried was portable too.

Anyone else able to give me any info about buying one of these?

·
Premium Member
6,205 Posts
I think the small Thermal Dynamics unit you guys are referring to is the DragGun. I've owned one for probably going on 9 years, great little unit. As with all of them, the consumables are pricey, but compared to other methods of cutting metal, this one beats 'em hands down. Sometimes, though, I wish I had a bigger unit, one that could cut 1/4" clean. But I don't actually cut heavier stuff enough to warrant spending another $1500 on a bigger unit. :noway:

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
#1. Make sure the torch consumables are readily available at your local welding supply.
#2. Try to ensure you're not buying an out of production model...i.e. ...no close out super deals.

I would advise sticking with one of the major brands....

Please don't ask how I know.........

·
Registered
666 Posts
I have the Miller Spectrum 375 and love it. I can cut upto 3/8" steel in a single pass and it is 120/240V (has switch in back). I never use my torches anymore and this machine has been flawless for the last 5 years I have had it. The only thing I have to replace is the tips and they are the same ones used by several other models and brands, so they shoudl be readily available. I bought a Miller 210 wleder at the same time and both have been worth the money and they get a lot of use. I build circle track cars, about 3-4 complete cars a year plus crash damage cars (usually about 10 more cars). I have been doing this for years with the tools and they have never skipped a beat.

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/plasma/spectrum_375/

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Miller extreme 375. It only weighs 18 lbs and will cut 5/8 steel with no problem. On 1/4 it will leave behind darn near no slag, meaning no clean up. Paid around 1100.
Miller and Thermal both make great cutters, I only bought the Miller because of the smoking deal I got.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts