Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, First off, I was wondering if there was an existing faq for people who are looking to buy a Chevelle. I'm going to be leaving school in a few months and am looking to buy my first car. I need something that can be a daily driver (probably a small block), doesn't have to be numbers matching or an accurate restoration, etc. However, not being able to find a car that hasn't had some sort of work done on it
, I was wondering what questions I should ask the owner (what is the compression, etc)?

Any help would be appreciated. By the way, what transmission/engine combination would you look for in a daily driver (and 7mpg is *not* acceptable
)

·
Registered
37 Posts
My daily driver gets nearly 20 mpg on the highway cruising at about 75 miles per hour. Not sure what I get around the city - never really paid attention.

It's a stock '69 with the 350/255 HP engine and 350 trans. It does have a new Edelbrock 600 carb, but the mileage is saved with the 2.56 rear end. It's a little slower off the line than I'd prefer, of course, but with gas prices up here that's okay. You probably don't want the differential ratio any higher than 3.31 or you'll start losing substantial mileage.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Check this article, from one of the links on the main page of Team Chevelle:
Buying Tips.

A rear end gear less than 3.00:1 would be great for fuel economy, I'd stay under 3.5 for sure.
350/TH350 is a pretty reliable set-up and decent for power - a 307 might be better on gas though....depends on your budget I guess.

Perhaps a team member in your area could look at a car with you if you ask?
Good Luck!

------------------
Ron Cook TC Gold Member #1276
1969 300 Deluxe HTSS396 The L35-325HP 396cid 69 Memory Lane 1971 Malibu 2DR HT
CanAm Chevelle Club _____________"Now, don't go and cloud the issue with facts..."

[This message has been edited by Bow_Tied (edited 01-15-2002).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.