Team Chevelle banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My dad bought this car new at Hick's Chevrolet in Decatur, AL. It was stolen out of his driveway around 1970. It was recovered in Tuscaloosa, AL. Before my dad could recover it, it was stolen from impound by the same guy, who escaped from the county jail. No clue which direction it took after that. Would have had 360 hp engine but maybe not the correct one. He changed engines like people change socks. Would have had modified rear control arms, and a slight engine setback as he raced it. Could have had either 4.88 or 3.70 gears. It was a no console car. Sandalwood tan with black inside. Steel wheels and caps. Here are a coulple of pictures of it shortly after purchase. Any leads appreciated.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Sweet car...and I love the second pic showing another '66 SS, possibly Danube Blue? ...and there's a '68 four door behind that?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you know the VIN? That's always helpful in these matters.
Man if only I had the vin. All proof of ownership was submitted by him to insurance for the payoff. Apparently he kept all tag receipts in the glovebox. Along with moving violations. I do have a tag off of it from 66 but he had it transferred to his current 66. DMV was no help in locating it from the 66 tag.

·
Premium Member
11,965 Posts
Id check with the guy that stole it twice already. He seems to have taken a liking to it. :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Omg are you freekin kidding me ???
My father bought one new in 66 but danube blue . He sold the car in 72 to a buddy of his local in Connecticut and the car was stolen 3 weeks later . Crazy .
I ALLWAYS wanted the exact car ...or not THEE exact car although I wish I could get THEE car .
Anyway I ended up buying a 66 2 door malibu in 05 which is the exact same body but not an ss .
Then in 07 I found a real deal 38 come
My dad bought this car new at Hick's Chevrolet in Decatur, AL. It was stolen out of his driveway around 1970. It was recovered in Tuscaloosa, AL. Before my dad could recover it, it was stolen from impound by the same guy, who escaped from the county jail. No clue which direction it took after that. Would have had 360 hp engine but maybe not the correct one. He changed engines like people change socks. Would have had modified rear control arms, and a slight engine setback as he raced it. Could have had either 4.88 or 3.70 gears. It was a no console car. Sandalwood tan with black inside. Steel wheels and caps. Here are a coulple of pictures of it shortly after purchase. Any leads appreciated.
View attachment 701739 View attachment 701740
Omg you must be freeing
View attachment 701739 View attachment 701740
Omg you must be freekin kidding me!!
My ole man bought one new in 66 but danube blue. He sold it to a buddy of his in 72. The car was stolen 3 weeks later in Connecticut and then recovered in ca .
Crazy.
I allways wanted one . In 05 I bought a 66 malibu which is the exact same body which came with a 69 350 in . Didnt care about keeping it correct because it wasnt.
I'm building a 500 power and 500 torque motor for it this winter.
Anyway ...in 07 I found a real deal 138 code 66 as and bought that.
Still have em both.
Hey good luck man .
Hope she finds her way home !

·
Premium Member
Rochester, New York
1,382 Posts
Great pix Lillbuzzy, and I wish you good luck. Gonna be hard without documentation to find thee car.

Funny to see the day 2 mods of aftermarket wheels on the silver and blue SS's. Just owning the muscle car wasn't enough; had to modify it!
The tan car shows how the door gaps were not as good as you can see today - even for a blurry picture of a picture you can see how the front door gap is larger than the back end gap.
And notice how all 3 SS's have blacked out grill extensions and all 3 cars have the back end lower than the front end - more examples of what was correct for a 66. I love seeing old pix like these! (y)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great pix Lillbuzzy, and I wish you good luck. Gonna be hard without documentation to find thee car.

Funny to see the day 2 mods of aftermarket wheels on the silver and blue SS's. Just owning the muscle car wasn't enough; had to modify it!
The tan car shows how the door gaps were not as good as you can see today - even for a blurry picture of a picture you can see how the front door gap is larger than the back end gap.
And notice how all 3 SS's have blacked out grill extensions and all 3 cars have the back end lower than the front end - more examples of what was correct for a 66. I love seeing old pix like these! (y)
The black one belonged to my uncle Jerry. It had most options. He owned and operated a speed shop for years. Performance Products in Decatur. So anything “new” was always on his cars and race cars.

·
Premium Member
8,624 Posts
If your Dad used the same insurance co it's possible they have an old file in your Father's name.Maybe they would have some information on his cars too.
The 66 pictures are great thanks for sharing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts