Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The question I have for you Sprint owners is : Does your columns have the ACC position on them?

I have heard from Cecil and his 71 Sprint doesn't. My 72 Sprint doesn't. So just wondering if these two are a fluke or what?

Thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
There should be no difference between a GMC Sprint and the Chevrolet El Camino. They were assembled along the same lines, used the same components, although badged for the correct make. Every GM column I have seen for these cars has an ACC position.

Are you sure?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies!

elcamino I am pretty sure my tilt column does not have the ACC position. Unless the key switch is bad. The ignition switch was replaced on the column with no change. In fact with the ignition switch out it did not go into that position.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Brian,

My '71 Sprint has the original column.
It is the non-tilt floor-shift version.
The only lettering around the cylinder
is "LOCK" at the off position. However,
I can rotate the key counter-clockwise
to an accessory position.

------------------
Dan Carr
[email protected]
Team Chevelle Gold Member #11, ACES #701
Author of the GMC Sprint, El Camino, and '68-'72 SS Authentication pages.
See my GM A-body fleet at:
www.rmi.net/~dcarr/cars/cars.HTM

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks dcarr for the info! Then I probably have it just don't know it. My column only has "lock" on it as well so I will give it a look tonight.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Okay, now I feel bad. I checked my Sprint, and I can no longer say I don't have an ACC position on the key switch. I have a LOCK, but the (only!) key I have won't even turn to the LOCK position! Boy, I'm glad it opens the door!

Yes, only one door. I'm in need of the spring clip that holds the lock in place on the other door. Looks like I'll be spending EVEN MORE $$$ on this!

------------------
Cecil Hawkins
San Diego, CA
1971 GMC Sprint
The Project
All I need is time...and some $$$
"Tourist, go home! And take someone with you!"

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I doubled checked and I guess you can say that I do have a ACC position. Just barely passed the LOCK position I do get power to the radio.
So I just never thought I had the position as it does not move very far passed LOCK.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.