Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just like the topic says :p I know where to find mopar but not too many GM companies. Any info is greatly appreciated.

dd

·
Registered
28 Posts
Try this site for a start

www.allchevyengines.com

I know what I would do with an extra $13,000.
605 cubes with 700HP,mmmmmmmm...one day!

[This message has been edited by Radd (edited 07-12-99).]

·
Registered
12,952 Posts
If you subscribe to any of the performance Magazines such as Hot Rod or Super Chevy, they are always full of ads for crate motors, and many have 800 phones. I personally have never bought a crate motor (I always build my own), but if I did, I would really be inclined to shop for the vendor with the cheapest price on a genuine GM crate motor. If you buy a crate motor that is custom built, it may be a roll of the dice, unless you buy an unassembled kit. If you do buy a custom crate motor, don't be hesitant to do all you can to check out their background and history.

------------------

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
World Products (worldcastings.com) makes a Merlin 509 engine for Chevys. Next year, hopefully, I will have one going in my 68 or 72.
Also, check Sallee Chevrolet (sallee-chevrolet.com). They have good prices on GM crate engines, and they also modify some GM crate engines for more horsepower and give them their own part #s.
Good luck and have fun in your search and purchase of a new motor.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
If you're interested in an injected Vortec 350, Pomona Valley Engine Rebuilders has several. These are brand new never run engines from Chevrolet, all new parts. Complete with TPI (I think), all engine mounted sensors, dist, pan, wires, plugs and Vortec heads. They do not include any off engine parts, like the computer.

I was told they are overrun engines that Chevy had and the shop got a good deal on them. At $1900 I wish I could get one. That's about all I know about them. Call (909) 625-2222 and ask for Dave. I don't know how many there are or how long they will last.

------------------
Pat Kelley
66 & 67 El Caminos

·
Registered
144 Posts
Radd is right. Check out that site and you'll be amazed. When you look, print out the engine that you want and go through the list of parts. Put a price next to each part and add it up. You're saving money (or at least a ton of time) getting one from them. You will also get a dyno chart of you engine so you know it'll work good. And, from what I hear, their tech support line is awesome. My $0.02.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Hey Master -
First, give us an idea of what you are looking for. You can go with the 502 or the ZZ4. Both are great depending on what you want.
Post what you have in mind and the answers will get better.
Happy hunting!

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
masterwoo,

You might give Procell Bros. a call. They do real good work. They use premium parts and dyno test every crate motor they build. Their prices are not necessarily the cheapest, but they are reasonable. They had a Reher-Morrison mountain motor on the dyno when I picked up my block from being machined. That might give you an idea of some of the stuff they do.
http://www.pnx.com/procells

Good Luck,

Jason Gore
DragRacer
[email protected]

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies.
MoeMan:
Its a 67 malibu body, no motor and NO RUST.
Im looking for a big block 454 or 502 (woudlnt mind a 605 :p)
Or somthing that will provide over 425hp
I was looking at some of the 383s but I figure if Im gonna spend the money Im better off buying a BB. Ive been collecting parts for this car for about a year. The only *major* thing I dont have is the motor. I would love to build it myself but it would take me about 16 minutes short of forever to do it right, plus I dont get any kind of warranty if I do it myself. I hope this gives some of you a better idea if what Im looking for and thanks again for all the replies!

Dan

·
Registered
55 Posts
Masterwoo

There's a lot of good advice here but to add my 2cents I've got an engine and transmission I bought from all Chevy Engines and have been extremely satisfied. They're good people. I live in Dallas, they installed both of them for me = 350/300 - 700R4

Doug

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have you checked with your local GM dealer. They have a list of crate motors available (long block, short block) They have a 350/450hp for a little over $6000 and it is complete with plug wires and a carb. Most don't come this complete. They also have about 5 different options for the 502 and 454.

Hope this helps,
Scott

·
Registered
28 Posts
Masterwoo,
I live close to you and had a 427 built by D & D Machine in San Jose. They did a fine job on the engine. They are located at San Carlos and Bird Street just of the 280. The prices are good the quailty is excellent and the best part is the turn around time is fast. Like 1 to 2 weeks. There number is 408-292-3567. Ask for Vic...
My engine is a street 427 with around 500 hp. They built a 427 with 9:1 compression and the performer RPM cam, performer RPM oval port heads, manifold and carb. I feel like a comercial for Edelbrock. A few of the members of our club Nor-Cal ChevelleCaminos have gone to him for machine work. So far no problems over the last 10 years. Good Luck. Tom....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.