Team Chevelle banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have one, I would like to know how accurate these are? Groups at 50, 100 etc.
What ammo?
Have you modified it?
What mods?
Did it help?

you know, that kind of stuff.

·
Registered
607 Posts
IDK much about the stats, but I have one it was my first gun when i was a young lad. Its still my favorite to shoot when i wanna go plink a couple targets. I believe there is a huge aftermarket world for them. It was the same model since the 60s and was a very popular gun. Also it has a pin on barrel so easy change. Search it up on google im pretty sure they make everything for them.:yes:

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Search it up on google im pretty sure they make everything for them.:yes:
I'd love to, but, the firewalls here are an example for communist America.
And, I have dial up at home..

KWIM?

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
when my father was alive, he called the ruger, "the small block of guns", there is a huge after market, and i've seen these things dialed in where groups were minute. it's one of those guns that you really can't go wrong with....

·
Registered
801 Posts
when my father was alive, he called the ruger, "the small block of guns", there is a huge after market, and i've seen these things dialed in where groups were minute. it's one of those guns that you really can't go wrong with....
when I bought my 45 the dealer called ruger the "chevy" of guns!

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I know you asked about the 10/22, but you can get an SKS for less money and customize it just as much. Not only can you have fun paper punching at the range, you can also hunt game with it as long as the game is not over one hundred yards away. An SKS has the approximate power of a 30/30. Many people use an SKS as a rifle to hunt wild pigs like Javelina, and also for game such as Antelope. While the ammo isn't as cheap as .22, it's about as cheap as it gets for "real" rifle ammo.

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
I have a Ruger 10/22 with a beautiful gray "Silverwood" stock, have a leopold scope on it, use it mostly for target practice. I like Sellior and Bellot(sp?) ammo.
i get most of my ammo thru Centerfire Systems in KY.
They are a great rifle to have!
have fun with yours!
rachael anne :waving:

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
when my father was alive, he called the ruger, "the small block of guns"
I agree. It's kind of modular and most aftermarket parts are standardized so you can put them on without any gunsmithing at all. Mine was pretty accurate out of the box, but it's even better now after adding a Butler Creek stock/bull barrel combo (which was a very easy operation). I haven't had time to fine tune the scope yet, but have still shot some one-hole groups at 25-30 yards while adjusting it. I'm sure that this is not the most accurate barrel out there, but I can tell that just the added weight and a longer trigger pull help a lot. I usually buy the cheap 500-round family packs, but I'm sure that target ammo would help too.

I have also had a trigger job done, and that was an enormous improvement. The group sizes went down by at least 50% just because you can touch it off without yanking on the rifle. My gunsmith told me that many of these rifles have gritty and heavy triggers, so polishing and lightening the pull (or simply buying a drop-in target trigger group) is often a very cost-effective improvement.

There are a few guns in my safe, but the 10/22 is the one I usually grab when it's time for casual and recreational shooting. :yes:

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Another vote for the 10/22. Great gun and tons of after market stuff to make it into whatever you want.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My favorite gun for plinkin or varmit shootin. It's smooth shooting and is one of those guns that just seem to hit what you're aiming at.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
marlin 925c bolt thats my gun of choice but the 1022 is fun to plink with too

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
If you do not intend to modify it, by a Marlin Mod 60.

No mods- no extras- just put a scope on and go to town. A 10/22 has WAY more things that can be done to it, but I am not sure it beats a marlin mod 60 out of the box.

matt
I agree..... I read that out of the box, the Marlin is a little bit more accurate. Had to do with the "micro-groove" barrel, with 16 grooves vs 6 (If i remember correctly) for the 10-022.

But, if you intend to modify it, the 10-22 can be made more accurate and takes away the Marlin's advantage.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I know you asked about the 10/22, but you can get an SKS for less money and customize it just as much. Not only can you have fun paper punching at the range, you can also hunt game with it as long as the game is not over one hundred yards away. An SKS has the approximate power of a 30/30. Many people use an SKS as a rifle to hunt wild pigs like Javelina, and also for game such as Antelope. While the ammo isn't as cheap as .22, it's about as cheap as it gets for "real" rifle ammo.
Own both, and they are fun to shoot. Best bunny buster I have ever had (10/22). Had it sighted in for long shots where you could count to four after the trigger pull to the bullet strike. Jackrabbits never knew what hit them.
The SKS just seemed a bit to much on the cost of the bullet versus bunny. But it's also a blast to shoot. Bought mine from a hardware/grocery/gun country store for eighty bucks fifteen years back.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts