Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I am converting my '67 Malibu over to floor shift, and have been driving myself crazy trying to figure out what to do for a console. Seems '67 consoles are hard to find, and I'd kinda rather have something with a compartment, and some place to rest my arm on. I know the 68-72 consoles are available aftermarket... anyone ever put a 68-72 console in a '67 or older? How'd is fit/look/work? I'm gonna put a Megashifter in, and found a post where someone said about fitting one into the 68-72 consoles. Anyone have any ideas? Anyone put a newer console in their Chevelle? Like a mid 80's Monte SS console or something? Or make your own? And advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Gold Founding Member
1,349 Posts
I havenever personally done this But I have seen some people use the 80s Camaro ones they are wide and flat and could be modified they are plenyiful I had a 87 Pon GP It had a consloe that would look descent in a earlier car Sounds Like junk yard time take a stroll look around some of the cars have unique console `s MIKE

·
Registered
172 Posts
If you can use a camaro console, do it. B & M makes a mega shifter that is made just for camaro consoles from 1973 and up. It fits so well, it looks factory installed. I don't think B & M makes anything for a chevelle console
And unless you are pretty creative the shifter may look like a hack-job ...................Joe454

[This message has been edited by Joe454 (edited 07-14-99).]

·
Registered
283 Posts
I just three days ago installed a 80 Camaro console with a B&M shifter in my 67 RS/SS clone Camaro and it looks like the General his'self worked all night to make it look natural. One of those three gauge packages fits up under the dash in the space provided.
The best part is they are plentiful and new lids are cheap.
Harley

·
Registered
313 Posts
Went through the same issue a while back. I almost put in a 68-72 console just to let people know it was a clone. Anyway I called James Hinshaw of Hinshaw's and he happened to have one at the time. He thoroughly reconditions them, even re-flocking the inside of the storage compartment. They aren't cheap, but I am glad I went ahead and got one that was correct for my car (67). Try Hinshaw's at 336-226-8242. He is in Burlington, NC. I also saw several in the parts for sale portion of this site when I was looking early this year, so check there if you haven't already and you can save some money, but you may have to settle for a lesser condition console.
John Walker

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.