Team Chevelle banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 68 Malibu that i put a disc brake swap on. After i finished, i noticed the pedal was still mushy. I figured i needed an alignment anyway and that the shop would just look over the brakes while they had it. Well, they did. The drums on the rear are way out of spec and pretty much every seal in the rear is leaking. The shop quoted 1k for a rebuild.

I'm not going to bother rebuilding this old pegleg drum brake rear end. What cars can i start looking at to get a better rear with a posi in it? Even better if there is something w/ disc brakes!! haha!

Thanks for the help!!

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
I'm pretty sure if you furnish the labor the cost of parts for a brake job and replacing all seals would only be around $100 not figuring for new drums. (Wholesale price est. = shoes $20, 2 cylinders $22, turn old drums $18, 2 wheel seals $8, pinion seal $14, 2 quarts gear lube $7, cover gasket $4). The price would climb a little if you need to replace the drums or find some other problems once it's opened.

Chevrolet only made two different Chevelle (A-body) rear end housing that are a direct fit from 1968 to 72; 10bolt (8.2") or 12 bolt (8.875"). Rear ends from 1964-67 will fit but are about 1" narrower overall. None came from factory with disc brakes and no year/model is a guarantee of a posi. Throw into it a gear ratio range of 2.56 to 4.88.

I would suggest finding a reasonably priced 1968-72 Chevrolet 12 bolt (if there is such a thing) and build to suite your taste. The price my run upward of $1000-2000 (uninstalled) depending on the deals you find and the amount of work you farm out. Then you would still need to do the disc brake conversion.

Just my .02.....

·
Super Moderator
16,160 Posts
Find a new shop with which to do business. $1k to rebuild rear drum brakes? Those guys are out and out crooks. If you did the disc brake swap yourself you could do the rear brake rebuild yourself too.

Of course if the shop quote included replacing the axle seals and perhaps axle bearings it might be a bit more work, but $1k is still outrageous.

If you want a posi, you can always just install a posi unit in the axle you have. If you want rear disc brakes, there are a number of kits available to do the conversion. Most will require at least 15-inch rims which you need to take into consideration if you are still running 14-inch rims.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
I hate to say this BUT ...... 1k for a rebuild on a rear end isn't that far out of line ....but it would be done right ....... gears & eaton carrier axles all bearings it adds up quick now days !!

Rich ..... we really need to quit looking at MSRP prices when they were new ;)

nobody puts in posi anymore for 32 dollars !! ;)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Chevrolet only made two different Chevelle (A-body) rear end housing that are a direct fit from 1968 to 72; 10bolt (8.2") or 12 bolt (8.875"). Rear ends from 1964-67 will fit but are about 1" narrower overall. None came from factory with disc brakes and no year/model is a guarantee of a posi. Throw into it a gear ratio range of 2.56 to 4.88.
not true,You could also look for a 8.5" rearend, they are pretty tough. My 71 cutlass came with one, good thing is, no c clips to worry about :hurray:

·
Super Moderator
16,160 Posts
I hate to say this BUT ...... 1k for a rebuild on a rear end isn't that far out of line ....but it would be done right ....... gears & eaton carrier axles all bearings it adds up quick now days !!

Rich ..... we really need to quit looking at MSRP prices when they were new ;)

nobody puts in posi anymore for 32 dollars !! ;)
Well I guess the question is: Is he talking about a rebuild of the rear end and brakes, or a rebuild of the brakes? Still, there are only three seals (not counting the rear cover gasket) on the whole rear end. Any competent mechanic could change all three seals and refill the axle with fresh oil in under 1.5 hours. That leaves the brakes. Axle bearings aren't that bad either, the pinion bearings would add quite a bit though.

I guess I can't see $1k in work there since I personally would never pay someone else to do such a job so that amount of money seem waaaay out of line. Or maybe my local mechanics, who I do use on occassion, simply charge more reasonable rates.

·
Premium Member
14,194 Posts
It could be because of the difference in where you live in Neb and where he lives in Dallas, Texas, IMHO, that'll make a big difference.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
not true,You could also look for a 8.5" rearend, they are pretty tough. My 71 cutlass came with one, good thing is, no c clips to worry about :hurray:
I think you are correct but BOP parts are not as readily available as the Chevy stuff. I purposely said Chevelle housings because gears, carriers and axles are easy to find or purchased new.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry for not giving more details. This stupid quote is only for brake rebuild and for axle seals. They said they thought the bearings were fine. They said that basically everything in the drums was spent and needed to be replaced. they said the drums were "30 thousandths out of spec". I took it to firestone b/c i did do the disc brakes myself and i wanted to have them checked out to be sure i did it all right. The firestone by me gives free brake inspection. So, i took it in, free of charge, and they claim i need 1k (actually, $1,111) of work. Actually, since i can't bend brake lines, that includes installing the new proportioning valve in place of the distribution block.

So, if it truly is ALL the seals, and lets just say complete drum rebuild, springs and all, what should it cost me? what would be fair? I kind of am just sick of brake work so i was taking it to a shop... but if they are going to stab me in the heart and twist the knife, i'll do the crap myself!!!

·
Premium Member
1,490 Posts
For 1000 you can have new axles, seals and bearings. new pinion seal, cover gasket, fluid, rear C5/LS1 disks brakes, new rotors, pads, new SS lines......and still have change!

Of course if you go change that stuff you might as well fix.............yeah - that will turn into several thousand dollars.

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Firestone, midas, and sears are all crooks:sad:. I used to work on cars as a dealer mechanic, and have seen the results of their shotty jobs. I don't care if you take in a 2009 to their shop you won't get out of there without a 2k quote. Yep. All the lines, cylinders, rotors, and pads need replaced:noway:. Along with a system fluid flush. When I worked at a chevy dealership, I was regailed with the stories of how a coworker used to do this at midas. I guess it just comes down to: How sick of doing brake work are you? 1000.00? Heck you could drive to my house and i could do it for alot less, and I live in PA.:thumbsup: Just how many 20/20 and dateline exposes' do they have to do before they straighten up and fly right?:mad:

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
As far as bending brake lines yourself it's easy. With the new types of lines they don,t kink as easy. IMO I would purchase a good brake flaring tool and practice on some scrap lines till you get good. With replacing the seals, the guys on here can walk you thru it. It's ridiculusly easy. I myself couldn't justify paying someone for something I could do.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree Ron. They won't be getting any of my money... and when i need even the smallest thing done, there's no way they will get it. The ONLY reason they got my car in a bay in the first place was because they were flying a big banner that said, "FREE BRAKE INSPECTION". I guess if you're gouging everyone for 1k then the "free" part really works to your favor!! I'll be doing all this stuff myself, i just don't know how to do some of it. I didn't know how to do a disc brake swap, but i do now... it's a learning process.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Well I guess the question is: Is he talking about a rebuild of the rear end and brakes, or a rebuild of the brakes? Still, there are only three seals (not counting the rear cover gasket) on the whole rear end. Any competent mechanic could change all three seals and refill the axle with fresh oil in under 1.5 hours. That leaves the brakes. Axle bearings aren't that bad either, the pinion bearings would add quite a bit though.

I guess I can't see $1k in work there since I personally would never pay someone else to do such a job so that amount of money seem waaaay out of line. Or maybe my local mechanics, who I do use on occassion, simply charge more reasonable rates.
I wasn't talking about resealing the rear ........ I was talking about rebuilding the whole thing !!!

OMG if they want 1k for 3 seals an a cover gasket & 2 qts of 90w that quilifys as the screwing of all time !!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.