Chevelles.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to ask a few questions about the new dash. I am not able to get the turn signal lights to flash when turned on, and the gen light works when key is on but the oil and temp light doesn't work. Could the problem be in the in the circuit board on the back being that is so old and a little brittle? All of the lights work but just seems like the right side and signal lights are out. Also the blower motor doesn't work anymore. I thought maybe you had a few ideas on a fix that i could look for when i have it opened up again.

thanks,
dennis

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
“I am not able to get the turn signal lights to flash when turned on”

The turn signal indication lights are grounded to the cluster back by a screw located between the two top center cluster lights. The turn signal lights and the two top center cluster/dash lights are all four grounded by this screw.
SEE PIC 1

The cluster back also needs to be grounded. The main harness has three black (ground) wires. One connects under a screw at the parking brake, this is the ground source. One connects under a screw on the cluster back, grounding the cluster back for the clock, the fuel gauge, the signal indicating lights and the dash lights. SEE PIC 2 One connects under one of the wiper switch mounting screws, grounds the wiper switch.

“the gen light works when key is on but the oil and temp light doesn't work”

The GEN warning light (2), Fuel gauge (3), BRAKE warning light (4). TEMP warning light (5) and the OIL warning light (6) All get power from the pink (1) wire in the cluster connector (1-4) SEE PIC 3 (5-6) SEE PIC 4 For cluster connector SEE PIC 5.

For trouble shooting you can remove the dash pad. You should be able to access the cluster back for testing. Use a voltmeter or a test light to measure voltage for each circuit. Refer to pics 1 – 5 as needed.

Left turn signal - With the ignition on and the turn signal on. Check for voltage at the connector on the light blue wire. Two wires top left side of the connector. Check for voltage at the indicating light. Remove the light check bulb. If you have power on one side of the bulb holder contact points and the other side is grounded, the indicating light should work.

Right turn signal – Check for voltage at the connector on the dark blue wire. Two wires top right side of the connector. Repeat checks as for left.

TEMP light – With the ignition switch on. Check for voltage at the bulb holder (5 of pic 4). Check the bulb. Check for voltage on the dark green wire at the connector. 4th from the top on the right side. The dark green wire is routed from the connector to two places. 1- The ignition switch where it is grounded to test the bulb when the switch is in the start position. 2- The bulk head connector then to the temp switch. Check for voltage on the dark green wire at the temp switch.

OIL light – With the ignition switch on. Check for voltage at the bulb holder. Check the bulb. Check for voltage on the dark blue wire at the connector. 3rd from the top on the right side. Check for voltage on the dark blue wire at the oil pressure switch.

“Could the problem be in the in the circuit board on the back being that is so old and a little brittle?”

Yes it’s not uncommon to have breaks in the copper traces on the circuit card. If you have voltage at the GEN light and not at the TEMP light it’s probably a broken trace.

“Also the blower motor doesn't work anymore.”

Do you have air conditioning or is it heat only?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts