Team Chevelle banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking for photos representative of my very first car – a 1969 Chevelle Malibu – 2D HT. At the time I got mine in 1972, the color combination was pretty popular, but searching the web turned up no photos matching mine.

Mine was light metallic green with dark green vinyl top. It originally had the silver trim on the rockers, but was repainted all one color after an accident. The engine was a high-compression 350 (not very common – maybe a poor man’s SS350?) and had the badge on the front fenders. Transmission was a floor-mounted 3-sp Hydramatic. Wheels were the painted aluminum steel rims with the large flanged lug nut cover, more commonly seen on Vettes and Camaros. There was originally a double pinstripe (not the wider SS stripe) that was not replaced after painting. Interior was dark green vinyl; steering wheel was a 3-spoked wheel, not the more common wheel seen on Malibus. The guy who ordered it did race it a bit, so he probably ordered some things special. He was likely a GM employee, as many are who live around the Lansing, Michigan area.

The car was broadsided and eventually sold as-is. Last I heard the guy restored it and was driving it, but this was back in about 1976. It was a great car and I’d enjoy at least having some representative photos, with or without the silver trim and correct wheels. Some day I’ll find one just like it and buy it. Can someone help me or direct me?

Thanks - Greg

·
Premium Member
7,984 Posts
Welcome Greg.
Great story! This is the best I can do. I'm assuming the light green your refering to is code 59 ~ Frost Green.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Had one the same color combo, buckets/console, and mine had a 3 spoke SS 396 steering wheel installed by someone, not the wood wheel, the plastic one with the shroud. Mine had the silver /argent lower paint, and was a 350 2bbl. car though, with a 12 bolt 2.73 single trac rear.

·
Premium Member
16,878 Posts
That's my 69 in the pic. I'm the second owner. It has the original drivetrain also (307/2 BBL, powerglide, 2.73 open 10 bolt). Dark green bench interior, midnight green vinyl top, code 59 Frost Green Metallic paint. It has manual drum brakes, power steering, non A/C, stock single 2" exhaust. I added the 15" ralleys and radials because I like the look better. I still have all 5, yep 5, steel wheels and all 4 original hubcaps.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
Hello and welcome Greg. Good luck on your search. If you don't find your answer here, try one of the other forums such as Bench Racing etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Scott, I am speechless! That's my car! Well - you know what I mean. Thanks bro - I really appreciate it.

And to the rest of you - thanks for all the welcomes and what you've had to say. This is an incredible group you have here.

Greg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Tom –

Thanks again for the photos. I’m making good use of it at work on my computer.

Mine looked identical to yours on the outside (other than the engine badge, of course). Those are exactly the same wheels. And like you, I had five of them plus the four hubcaps and rings.

I don’t speak the language fluently, but this is what I remember. The engine was a high-compression 350, 4 BBL, dual exhaust (2” I think). It required premium fuel.

Interior was forest green vinyl with buckets and a console. The steering wheel was, if I recall correctly, wood-rimmed with three aluminum-looking spokes. It was a tilt-wheel, but the car had few other options. No A/C, AM radio. It did have power steering and brakes. I bought a kit from JC Whitney to dress up the dash with a wood veneer that may have matched the steering wheel. It was a great first car and I’d love to have another chance to drive it someday.

The original owner did race it a bit as a pure stock. He said it would turn in the low 14s. He told me what the rear end was, but I no longer remember. Maybe someone can figure it out from that information.

Is that 350 pretty rare? I didn’t run into many of them even back in the early 70s. And now looking at listings, they all seem to be either 307s or 396s. What are the chances of me someday finding a “twin” to my old 1969? I’m not good at restoring things, but could afford to have someone else do it – and would have no problem heading to the southern or western states to find a clean one. I’m in Michigan – not much chance of finding one native to this state. I haven’t seen a ’69 on the road in ages.

Greg

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
Greg, welcome aboard,
I have the car you speak of, only it is originally Butternut Yellow with Parchment interior. No vinyl top.
The engine you are referring to is an optional engine for the 69 Chevelle. It is RPO (Regular Production Order) L48. It is a 300hp 350. There were 30,099 Chevelle produced with this engine in 1969. All of these cars came standard with a 12 bolt rear. This engine was the base engine for the 69 Corvette. 10.25-1 compression. Same as the 396/325hp. It was rated at 380 ft lbs torque. The 396 was rated at 410 ft lbs.
The only hotter 350 for 69 was the 350hp, only available in the vette.

Any chance of finding the guy who had it before you?
Would be neat to see his quarter mile times. Low 14's is pretty good.
The 325hp 396 didn't run that fast.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts