Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Gold Founding Member
63,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been trying to find a time delay relay for a home garage project.

SPST - N.C. contacts
It's operating coil can be either 24 VAC, 120 VAC or 240 VAC (or I suppose I could even use 12 VDC if I had to).

Very little load on contacts as it will be a slave relay operating a larger contactor with a 24 VAC operating coil.

Not sure if it would be called "delay on on" or "delay on off"

Anyway, once it's energized it's contacts will stay closed for only about 3 seconds then open and stay open as long as it's energized and repeat cycle next time it is energized.

Any ideas ?

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Dean,

How 'bout I build you something, it will only cost you a 6-pack.

;)

Joe

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Sure Dean, as long as you're in no hurry ;)

So..um, need some more info, I take it you already have 24 VAC for me play with? I could build a module that takes 24 VAC and provides dry relay contacts that change state for 3 seconds once a button is pressed, OR if you'd need, it would provide a relay state change once it initially sees 24 VAC, it's up to you.

Oops, I re-read your post. You don't want no stinking button

If I got this straight:

24 VAC is applied to "mystery module", the internal "pilot" relay changes state for exactly 3 seconds and then goes back to it's unchanged state EVEN though the main 24 VAC to the mystery module is still live. 24 VAC is is lost, relay remains the same. 24 VAC re-applied and internal relay changes for 3 seconds and then goes back to sleep.

Right???

I smell project.

Joe

·
Gold Founding Member
63,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, bear with me

I'm trying to read this back to myself and see if it makes sense (I'll keep editing til it does)

I have a little manual SPST minni N.O. momentary contact push button doing the job at present but I want it to be automatic.

When 240 volt power is turned on at the circuit breaker the TDR energizes but doesn't change to "open" until three seconds later.
It's contacts (which are normally closed) complete the circuit to a 3 pole - 40 amp contactor's 24 VAC operating coil BUT only for two or three seconds, then it's contacts open and stay open allowing the contactor to drop out and stay out until the next time the breaker is turned off and back on again.

Once the circuit breaker is turned off, the TDR resets back to "make" or N.C.

I can get 240 VAC, 120 VAC or 24 VAC from the circuit breaker (using a 20 VA transformer for the lower voltages).

Can you guess what I'm trying to do?

I could build it myself (maybe) if I had a diagram with values.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts