Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry about the non chevelle post but it is a chevy post. i am looking to buy a new gm/chevy pick up. mid 90's or newer looking to spend around 10,000. must be 4x4. but any ways for all thw mechanics, is the any year that has any problems? what years have the best designed 4x4? basicly is they any thing i should know when looking? by the way i also want 350 in it.
thanks

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
96 and up for a Chevrolet. that way you get the vortec engine.

[This message has been edited by david_396 (edited 12-06-2001).]

·
Registered
351 Posts
Opinions will vary on what year models are better. Based on my experiences and those of my friends, here are a few observations. The earlier trucks 88-95 all had throttle body engines. These were very dependable with very few problems. The biggest flaw with these trucks were the 700R4 transmissions. Enginewise, the most common problems were throttle body gaskets and valve guide seals. The earlier 88-93 models had serious paint problems with certain colors.
In 1996 the Vortec engine was introduced. It had different heads and a completely different injection system. These engines seemed to have more power than the earlier TBI units. I attribute the power increase more to the heads than to the injection system. It's known that the Vortec heads are worth close to 50 HP when used on other engines. The '96 and newer trucks are a whole lot more complicated to work on the early TBI trucks. The '96-'99 Vortec engines are notorious for intake manifold gasket leaks. Loss of antifreeze is very common. It is a major undertaking to remove and replace the intake and gaskets. Another common problem is the high pressure in-tank fuel pump. It is a very pricey $400+ repair.
I prefer the earlier '93-95 trucks because of the simpler TBI engines. After '92 most of the paint problems seemed to be solved. The transmissions were upgraded to the 4L60E electronic units and seem to be more dependable than the 700R4. In '94 the ABS braking system which had been used on earlier Suburbans and Blazers became standard on all 1/2 ton units. 1995 is the ONLY year that the TBI engine was available with the "newer" style interior that was used up until the body change in 1999-2000.
I hope that this information will give you some ideas on which truck you might want. I'm sure others will have preferences that differ from mine.....which is what makes this forum so good......sharing information.

·
Registered
162 Posts
98. That was the last year of the model that began in 88. As you know with GM you usually don't want the first year of a new model, by the end they've got it figured out. With a 98 you get the 5.7L Vortec, shift-on-the-go electronic 4WD, third door on extended cabs, good Bose stereo, and more interior lights than anyone could ever need in that small of a space. It also has a user-friendly interior, the controls are well-placed and the knobs are big enough that you can operate them with work gloves on.

As you can probably tell I have a 98, I've got friends and relative that have or had a good cross-section of all the 88-98 years

------------------
Paul Hesco
www.chevelles.net/nfc

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I second the vote on a '98. You get the good looks of the older body style, with more updated construction and motor.

------------------
Brian
Durham, NC
My Toys:
69 Chevelle Malibu
2001 Camaro SS

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I second the vote on a '98. You get the good looks of the older body style, with more updated construction and motor.

I have an '89 myself with over 200k miles on it. Other than normal maintenance, the starter is the only thing that's ever died on it.

------------------
Brian
Durham, NC
My Toys:
69 Chevelle Malibu
2001 Camaro SS

·
Registered
361 Posts
The only knock on the '98 models is if you need to do much towing, the Brakes are awful. It's truly not a truck for towing heavy loads, I would assume the braking problem exists with older versions also, but keep this in mind. If you're just using the truck as most of us do, as a daily driver with occasional towing duties, this would be the year I would recommend.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
stay away from the 96 models..c-1500 extended cab-nothing but trouble.my truck plate says..GMLEMON
the dealership tried to give me the song and dance routine---seat rails become loose do to the poor quality metal that they use-(23 sets changed at $300 each-thank goodness for extended warranties---trans are junk-differential has leaky axle seals-none hardened axle bearings--ac-water pump-alternator-power steering-etc-poorly designed injectors(5 sets replaced).
have 1300 miles to go on warranty-cost the dealer plenty of $$$$$ ...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, i didn't expect this much intrest. you guys gave some great info. i do think i would prefer the tbi models better, but if i can find a deal on a newer one? how are the standard transmitions on these trucks? and what is the most reliable 4x4? the electronis shift 4x4 seems like there will be problems with it. thanks and keep em commin.
alex

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I had a 1996 Extended Cab 4WD Z71, totally loaded truck and an early production unit built in Pontiac Michigan. Got it in Nov of '95. I never had any problems in the 3 yrs I owned it. I sold it to a friend whom still has it with about 80,000+ miles, the last 40,000 were plowing snow and being used for hauling firewood etc. I see the truck every day just about and talked with him yesterday. In the time I had it, nothing was replaced nor did it need to visit the dealer for anything. Since he has had it, the EGR failed, the daytime running lights module failed and he says the intake manifold is starting to leak coolant at 80,000 miles, other than that just routine maintanence items like brakes, btw-he is a mechanic with his own shop. Also the original Goodyear Wrangler tires are still on the truck. When the truck had 5,000 miles on it I changed all the lubricants (engine, A/T & axles) over to synthetic lubes and he continues to use them today. We were comparing notes a while back, in the time I had it if never used any oil and he says its still than way today, never have to add any oil, always on the full mark. Never any trans problems and he only replaced the brakes once, I never did anything to brakes.

So, not all 1996 trucks are a problem. Just find a good one that has been well taken care of and you should be OK. Around here the old style trucks are reasonable. I just saw a low mileage loaded 1998 GMC ext Cab 4X4 Z71 with leather and all options selling at a GM dealer for $14,999. The truck was flawless, the owner purchased a 2002 model from what the salesman told us.

[This message has been edited by elcamino (edited 12-08-2001).]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.