Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a big block street/strip pump gas crate motor that won't break the budget. I'm considering the Bill Mitchell 509/540 horse iron head engine for $8K.
Shafiroff engines offers a 540/695 horse aluminum head engine less carb and distributor for $9K. That's alot more motor for only a grand more.

Any other suggestions? Has anyone had any experience with the above engines? Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I think if you did a search on Bill Mitchell, you would find many dissatified customers here. I have never dealt with them or anything, but I just remember reading over the posts.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I have never herd of them do they have a web site . As far as the companies i mentioned above they have very good quality engines . Now you may contact Mike Lewis AKA wolf place and se what he can do for you . I beleve there are several guys that run his engines on her . check him out

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I have never herd of them do they have a web site . As far as the companies i mentioned above they have very good quality engines . Now you may contact Mike Lewis AKA wolf place and se what he can do for you . I beleve there are several guys that run his engines on her . check him out
On Here

·
Registered
88 Posts
I second what Driver said.When I went looking for a motor I was going to go with Shafiroff pretty much had it all orderd.And the main reason I didn't go with them If somthing were to go wrong It would have to be created back up and sent back to them in NY.Now with GM you can go to any dealership.And GM has been making motors a lone time. But Shafiroff seemed top notch very nice I was going to even send a friend that lives on long island to go watch it get dynoed when they got done building it.

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I did that already. Bought a 468 short block, a set of Merlin heads, the rest of the parts from Summit, and the engine grenaded the first pass at the track. Gotta big hole in the oil pan. Besides, I feel piecing something together is just as much, if not more, than buying an assembled crate motor with a dyno sheet and a 2 year warranty.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts