Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be honest - I don't know a damn thing about building engines, or the principals behind picking heads, cam, etc.

Is there a good book(s) which would give me some basic knowledge on the subject? Granted, hands on experience would be great, but that's just not an option right now.

Once I finish my 68, I plan to build up a car, but I'd rather be in a position of doing some of the work myself instead of simply throwing my credit card at an engine builder.

Thanks, Kurt

------------------
The 68 Chevelle info page. [last updated Nov. 30, 98]
www.geocities.com/~68_chevelle/Chevelle/Info.html
Email: [email protected]
T.C. Gold #6
A.C.E.S. #1352

·
Registered
246 Posts
The best I've found is "How to Rebuild Your Big Block Chevy" by Tom Wilson. Very clear, very informative and just plain enjoyable to read. You can get it at most auto parts stores, larger book stores, and even the internet for about $15.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Well...I looked at your page (nice car!) and didn't see that you were planning either a big or small block. My vote for small block basics is the David Vizard book "How to Rebuild Your Small Block Chevy." The edition I have is old (don't know if there's an update) and it doesn't list some of the newer things (like Vortec heads, for instance), but does a great job of explaining the entry-level type of stuff.

------------------
Tom H.
Member #259
Indianapolis,IN www.iquest.net/~bharold/chevelle/

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

Tom: The car on my page will remain bone stock with it's L6 and PG combo. I'm looking down the road a bit for when I finish that one and begin the next project.

As soon as that 68 is done, it'll become my daily (summer) driver, with the Honda going to backup/Winter duty. At that point, I'd like to build a street/strip car.

SBC or BBC? Don't know. Right now, I 'm most interested in the basic principals and not on building a specific engine combo. I figure that'll come later one I get to the point of actually starting the project. (although a 427 & Tremac combo sounds interesting
)

Kurt

------------------
The 68 Chevelle info page. [last updated Nov. 30, 98]
www.geocities.com/~68_chevelle/Chevelle/Info.html
Email: [email protected]
T.C. Gold #6
A.C.E.S. #1352

·
Registered
79 Posts
I agree with the above: Vizard's book is good.

Also, PST sells some videos. One is the basics of rebuilding engines (they demo on a 350 small block) and the other is on hot-rodding the small block (they use two 400's (I think)).

Forgot to mention: both of PST's videos are $19.95 (they pay shipping). Vizard's book can be found on Amazon.com

[This message has been edited by Buck Mustard (edited 09-16-99).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.