Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I am going to look at a chevelle this weekend and he said it needs a new vinyl top and he has the replacement top....the car is smokey grey. But anyways If you take off the vinyl part of the top is it the same as a regular without paint? thanks, and also what should i look for when I am looking at.

·
Registered
10 Posts
In regards to the top - RUST - vinyl tops ALWAYS rust - especially at the back edges where the chrome strip is. (ca car or not)

The rest is standard stuff - what engine, what tranny, what rear end, are they original, does it run ok, (bring a floor jack) check for rust in floor pan, bring a magnet - check for bondo, is it being passed off as an SS - if so - look up "how to spot a fake SS" section on this site, also check out this GREAT article (from the sister site Team Camaro) http://www.camaros.net/shop/buying.html , other questions - why are they selling, what doesn't work on the car - how much cutting has been done on wiring harness, door panels, etc.

Last car I looked at (2 wks ago) I spent 1.5 hours all over the car ('69 El Camino SS396) - Don't rush - it's your money - get what you want - and get what you are paying for!

Steve

·
Registered
567 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dobek:
- Don't rush - it's your money - get what you want - and get what you are paying for!

Steve
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

All of the previous info was great but, this statement stands out. This should be the NUMBER ONE piece of advice any of us, young or old should follow when considering the purchase of anything!

------------------
"Laissez Le Bon Temp Rouler' Cha!"
Chevytalk Moderator
GMforums Moderator
"Jungle"Jim
70SS396 & 70 Malibu
My Car
"I don't drive FAST, I just FLY low!"

·
Registered
225 Posts
GT3, It is the same top underneath the vinyl, but there is an additional peice of molding on vinyl top cars that run along the bottom edge of the vinyl on each side from the rear side window to the back window. If you don't want to put the vinyl back on the roof, this peice of chrome looks out of place, but can be removed. There are studs there that hold the molding on that would have to be grinded off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.