Team Chevelle banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A two bolt block (came with heads and rods and pistons and crank only using the block for 250$). Then on craigs list I found a guy locally with SRP 145376 +5 cc pistons with rings and a forged scat 4.25 crank. I talked him into 800$ for both. Now I am rod hunting. Then I will go and have the machine shop do their magic.

I will be swaping from my old 396. The 215 heads they have 2.06 and 1.88 valves. Why the hell the old shop only enlared the ex. side I have no idea. They have a little blending done as well. I will be going to a hyd roller. This is a street car that I love to race at the track but maybe only 8-10 times a year. I also just bought a new set of morels that are in the 396 with only 1000 miles on them so it will be hyd roller + I have yet to have a problem with the setup. Edelbrock rpm air gap. 780 dp from pro systems. Carter 172 fuel pump. I will probably get some new headers mine are leaky as hell. I am thinking of a cam in the 252/.258 - 641/.635 hyd roller 114 LS 106-109 ICL Then I want to change my rear gear from a 3.90 back to something usefull on the freeway again. Maybe 3.31-3.55 my tranny is a huges turbo 400 with an 8" ati treemaster 4000 stall or so.

My plan is to use the stock heads untill I am ready to do a turbocharger(need to get more parts, oh and money). When I do the turbo I will buy some patriot heads and get the compression down instead of changing pistons. From some of the calculators I have used it looks like I will be in the 10.3-5:1 range with the 101 cc 215 heads I have right now. Using .25 deck height is this correct?

Questions would a cam that size work with these heads? I have seen plenty of power made with the stock heads I just want to get it right. What decently priced oil pan that has a windage tray or screen would fit without issue on a 68 SS? Should I go up to 2" headers now from the 1 3/4 I am using now? Any recomendations would be great other than telling me I can make another 30-40 horse with a solid roller. I can get good pricing on rods through work but will be shopping craigs and ebay for fun. Only have $1,050 in it so far.

Also since it is an internal balance deal can my flex plate and balancer be swapped? Flex plate has 20,000 miles balance has about 500-1000.

Goal is maybe unrealistic 650 horse power and dump loads of torque. I think the heads would be holding me back but buisiness needs to pick up for me to justify new heads right now. Would Patriot heads with lower compression make more than my heads with higher compression?

Thanks sorry for ramblin.

Jacy

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, by the way with the 396 I run a 235-240 dur. and .617 and .601 lift with a 106 icl. 110 loabe sep. Best run is a 12.5 shift at 6400 thanks to the morels and heavier spring. I would imagine the cam would be a dog in the new 496 am I right? I am just at the point were I want to go faster and get back the streetabilaty I once had. In the end no matter what I throw at it. It is still only 408 Cubes.

G

·
It's b/c you gain using a bigger exhaust valve b/c pumping losses are lower.

.025" deck height.

Imho, a good old CC 288AR, solid street roller will be better, BUT I would install at least 2.19" intakes in your -215's.

Ed's, (racer1320) 467 ran reworked -215's fine!

And I'd consider an old Strip Dom., Victor or Team G single plane too.

As alway's, jmho.

pdq67

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
Sounds like a pretty good setup you're planning. I run the closed chamber heads on my 505 with 255/265 roller cam. It runs nice with the heads, although they have had a bit of work. Same cc's as yours. Although most guys here will tell you to put in bigger intake valves as well as exhaust, a lot of builds I have seen in the past and in magazines suggest larger exhaust valves only in the big block, closed chamber heads. The exhaust is the weaker side, and they figure the intakes are fine for all but all out racing. I didnt do the math on your combo, but what is your DCR and SCR coming out to be? The 496 will like lots of cam.

·
Premium Member
13,692 Posts
I'd use your Air Gap, perfect intake for what you are doing. Back when I had 781's on my 505 I swapped the RPM for a Vic Jr twice, once in spring, once in summer and both times I lost .03 in 60ft, lost e.t. and gained maybe 1mph. Having said that I'd like to try a Vic Jr again on these RaceRites.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These calculators are driving me nuts. I get anywere from 9.4:1 to 10.3:1. Anyone have a good one that seems to be what everyone is using. Not 100% sure on how to get dynamic. Rod lengh plus what else. I have checked 4 two were around 9.4:1 and the others were both in the 10.1:1 and a 10.3:1. So I am not sure what the heck is going on. Were you saying you think it could take even more cam than the one I am looking for? I do not know how big one can go on a hyd roller. I really picked that cam after reading what wolfplace had said in a post about someones weenie roller 489 that made really nice numbers. He had said if the cam had about 10* more on intake and ex. and a little more lift that it would make a good chunk more power. Also I think he said use a good single plain intake. For now I will just use what I got intake wise.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I only drive it every now and then. I am getting about 7mpg out of the 396 so I already know.

Anyone else have any advise or should I just slap this thing together and hope to hell for high tens.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I have a similar engine. I worked the Keith Black compression formula and it came out 10.16. Bore is 4.320, .070 overbore. 4.25 stroke, 6.385 rods. .003 deck clearance, .039 head gasket, 3cc pistons, 98cc heads,4.4 head gasket. I wasn't too sure on the last one because I didn't measure it.. I think you'll be close to 10-1

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ya once I figured out that I was putting the dome info in wrong I guess you use a -5cc not a +5cc I started coming out with 10.1:1 or so. I got myself some ohio crank forged extreme duty I beams for 175 on ebay, so now I just need to get some money and head to the machine shop. Any cheap 2" headers that someone knows will fit a 68 ss witha big block.

Thanks for reply

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
what did you do with the rods and crank that came with the $250 engine?

·
Registered
13,358 Posts
Compression aside, it's your call on the heads. Personally, I would just run them as is and not worry about the intake valve size - unless you are inclined to do so, then consider a 2.19 upgrade, but don''t expect a whole lot more power without doing some major unshrouding in the chambers. I doubt you will see high 10's with 3.31's and a "street" converter ("street" is highly subjective), although someone did post some similiar results not too long ago - but I could not find the post recently. Good luck.

PS - very surprised you only got to 12.50's with the 396 setup. I would have expected a full .5 quicker or better.

·
Registered
14,244 Posts
I'd use your Air Gap, perfect intake for what you are doing. Back when I had 781's on my 505 I swapped the RPM for a Vic Jr twice, once in spring, once in summer and both times I lost .03 in 60ft, lost e.t. and gained maybe 1mph. Having said that I'd like to try a Vic Jr again on these RaceRites.
Bob, are you running rec port heads? I'm curious as to how well the Air Gap matches the Race Rites.

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
That should get you about 4 mpg maybe 8 if you baby it, should only cost you about $400 week in gas if you drive 30-40 one way.

You said it's a street car, not your driver I hope?
My new 489 gets 10mpg average on my last tankful, with quite a bit of aggressive driving & cruising.
Trick is to step on it, then coast 10 miles. ;) This with 3.43's and a GV Overdrive.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I thought the 396 would have been faster as well but that is just all it wants to run. I may do the 2.19" valves when I get everything into a shop. I have .25" longer rods made by ohio crank they are the extreme I beams or something like that forged and supposedly strong as hell. I still have all the rods and crank that came with the 250 dollar motor and the peanut port heads. I will probably have it all cleaned up together for the hell of it, they are fairly rusty.

If I use the 215 heads I am being told to get a fairly big spread on int and ex duration so I am thinking of something like a 253 264 hyd roller cam. Might be kinda nasty and fun.

Thanks

Jacy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.