Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1971 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
7,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
The price went up since its last appearance on eBay, which ended on January 10th. Tax returns are right around the corner. Does anyone think that will make a difference?

Steve R

·
Premium Member
3,586 Posts
I really liked this car and was in the hunt first time around, now this guys seems to be having trouble flipping it. Still like it, but not that ($27,500.00) much. I think he has built in plenty of negotiating room.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
I am wondering how he got 600 HP out of a flat top 454 with open chamber rectangular port heads ;)
FWIW,nice looking car..I like it.
People make claims like that all of the time. Why not, it impresses random people at the local cruise and online. It feeds a cycle that allows others to make inflated claims with no backup or push back. All you need is a cam with a lope and a bit of bravado. Twenty years ago it was 450hp, then 500hp, soon it will be 700-800hp.

Steve R

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really liked this car and was in the hunt first time around, now this guys seems to be having trouble flipping it. Still like it, but not that ($27,500.00) much. I think he has built in plenty of negotiating room.
He supposedly paid $21k for it. I say you could get it for $24k.

·
Premium Member
3,586 Posts
People make claims like that all of the time. Why not, it impresses random people at the local cruise and online. It feeds a cycle that allows others to make inflated claims with no backup or push back. All you need is a cam with a lope and a bit of bravado. Twenty years ago it was 450hp, then 500hp, soon it will be 700-800hp.

Steve R
He's got the basic ingredients ok for 600 ponies at the flywheel, just compression seems to be lacking. Don't like that intake for 600 either. Wonder, 990's?

·
Premium Member
3,586 Posts
He supposedly paid $21k for it. I say you could get it for $24k.
I was out at 18 Hank, had my regrets too. I liked the original owner better. Seemed straight up to me.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
He's got the basic ingredients ok for 600 ponies at the flywheel, just compression seems to be lacking. Don't like that intake for 600 either. Wonder, 990's?
That is true, however, how often do people put in the effort to actually tune their engine so they can realize its potential. Even if the engine is tuned properly him many times do they get the rest of the combination right such as converter, gear ratio, exhaust, tire, front suspension, rear suspension and driving technique to get the most out of their car? This doesn't normally happen without actual time at the track.

You could look at Oliver as an example. Remember how much time and effort he put into making his car work once he installed his Vortec Pro engine with verified power output. With him being in Italy and all of the inconveniences he had to deal with he could very easily given up, but he didn't. Compare that to people that won't put in the effort to drive to the local track and have never put their engine on a dyno, to me, the two don't square.

Steve R

·
Premium Member
3,586 Posts
That is true, however, how often do people put in the effort to actually tune their engine so they can realize its potential. Even if the engine is tuned properly him many times do they get the rest of the combination right such as converter, gear ratio, exhaust, tire, front suspension, rear suspension and driving technique to get the most out of their car? This doesn't normally happen without actual time at the track.

You could look at Oliver as an example. Remember how much time and effort he put into making his car work once he installed his Vortec Pro engine with verified power output. With him being in Italy and all of the inconveniences he had to deal with he could very easily given up, but he didn't. Compare that to people that won't put in the effort to drive to the local track and have never put their engine on a dyno, to me, the two don't square.

Steve R

That's funny Steve: "You fell asleep while posting this?" ;) Agree with everything you said here, first dyno and fine tune, money well spent. With that cam and heads (?) seems like he is in the hunt, if everything is dialed in right as you mention, it would make for a snappy combo.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Regardless of how much horsepower is does or does not make, it is still a nice car. I like the color and look it has.

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
That's really a great looking car. Would have been a great deal at $21k. Still probably not a terrible deal in the mid $20k range either.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lowest price yet $22,500. Sounds like he just wants to break even now.

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
He probably has close to that into it, with the shipping cost to get it there in the first place.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
He probably has close to that into it, with the shipping cost to get it there in the first place.
That's what I figure plus new tires.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sold this time for $22k.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts