Team Chevelle banner

Longer Wheel Studs

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  O'Man 
#1 ·
I have a narrow 12 bolt (65 66 or 67) rear in my car. With stock wheels the rear of the car looks odd because the wheels and tires are inboard about a 1/2 inch extra. I want a stock appearance and I don't really want to remove the rear end and choke out money for another wider 68 / 72 rear.

So my thought is can I put a spacer in there between the wheel and the drum? I know there are spacers avail and the Street Rod guys use them all the time to get that dead nuts placement of the wheel / tire as close as possible to the fenders.

I am wondering if i can get some wheel studs that are say 1/2 inch longer to accomodate the added width of a 1/2 spacer behind each rear wheel/

Any comments and ideas on sources of studs / use of spacers???

Discussion starter · #3 ·
I am not sure I like them myself that is why I am questioning this idea. The car is not a racer and only street driven. I think a 1/2 inch increase in the bolt should not be too much in terms of stress and would at the same time provide enough thread for proper lug nut engagement. I had a set of spacers when I was playing with the backspace on my Corvette. I did not like the way the nuts engaged the stud with stock length studs. There just was not enough thread to make me feel comfortable. If I did do this I certainly would not do it without longer studs.

Discussion starter · #5 ·
Thanks Bill

I guess this is not gonna work...I really don't like the spacer idea myself(as I said up above) but I cannot get the wheels I want in the correct backspacing. The smallest backspace they have available is 3 3/4 and that is almost exactly what the factory wheels are.

I want to push the tire outward anout 1/2 to 5/8 inch on each side and in order to do that I need a smaller backspace than the 4.00 on the factory wheels. 3 3/4 gets me part of the way to where I want to be but considering the cost of two wheels I am still 3/8 inch from where I want to be.

I have 15 x 8 rims that look OK as far as tire position but the rim / wheels center look like a reversed rim from the good old days.

Thanks everyone for your help on this

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.