Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys. I've decided that I am going to assemble my long block myself.

So here's what i need. I need you guys to give me all the advice you can. The short block is done. It was assembled by Kim Barr Racing Engines in dallas.
Please just tell me anything and everything you can. I would rather learn from other people's mistakes than my own.

Like what head bolts need sealant?
What should i worry about when doing the oil pump/pump shaft install (i remmeber a few days ago i guy posted about a prob w. his).
Any secret tricks? Hidden problem areas?
I need all the hlep i can get. I've never done this before. Oh yeah, One of my friends who went to SAM (school of automotive machinists) is going to teach me how to degree a cam, so i think i'm covered there.
But i will be able to say that minus bottom end i assembled my engine myself.

Thanks ALOT

-Matt

------------------
1971 Malibu 350/TH350 (383/700R4/12bolt in the works)
"DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!"

CAR

ENGINE

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Matt, why not enlist the aid of your S.A.M. friend for more than just the camshaft degree in?

Let me echo the previous advice of getting a good engine book to follow along with - really, there is no easy way for any one of us to list all the possible details of top end engine assembly in a concise reply on the forum. That is why engine buiding books often cover a couple of hundred pages.

You want tips, here are several:
Make sure all surfaces are clean before assembly.
Take your time, don't rush your first engine.
If something seems wrong - take it back apart.
Yes, your head bolts require thread sealant.
If your head bolt threads in the block have not had a chaser clean up tap run through them - do so before reassembly.
Get an oil pump priming shaft that you can run off an electric drill. Before dropping distributor in place, use the priming shaft to spin the oil pump and pressurize the oil system.

Hope that's a good start - good luck!

Thomas

------------------
"Bomber" '67 El Camino, Beater comes back to life.
Was 350/TH350 14.90 @ 93mph, 360,000+ miles on car
Now 406 roller, 340rwhp, more hp coming, 3.08 gears
Street radials, left in drive, 13.20 [email protected] mph
*New* added Plum Mist '67 to collection

·
Banned
486 Posts
Matt, Make sure all your freeze plugs and threaded plugs are in. The engine builder probably put them all in,but it never hurts to double check. Check the plugs in the front and rear of the cam and the one I've seen left out the most is on the drivers side of the block in the rear,about where the head and the intake come together. Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.