Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 72 Malibu and recently put an alarm on it. Neighborhood punks like to steal cars, drive them, and ditch 'em.

The only downer is, one can easily open the hood and snip the battery line in a matter of seconds. Then proceed to disable the alarm.

How can I lock my hood? Nothing to fancy, but certainly not to visable?

·
Registered
79 Posts
In the archive section on this site there is some really good ideas for hood locks. You might be interested in one of them.

Year One also sells a inside hood release kit. Its a cable setup w/ a pin that appears to keep the hood closed unless you "unlock" it from the inside.

And there is always moving your battery to your trunk, where it is locked. You could even go as far as leaving a "dummy" dry battery under the hood while all of your important stuff is ran off the trunk battery.

Or even more hardcore, run a seperate battery in the trunk just for an alarm backup. You can get fully sealed low amp batteries that are designed for this for pretty cheap, and they last years. That way if some random hoodlum pops your hood, disables the battery, the alarm will still be going.

There are also locking hood pins. JC whitney sells them, so does Year One. I personally think they look bad, and it requires you to install hood pins.

Wes

·
Registered
740 Posts
I got a cheap way to do it and they gotta be prepared to breakit

OK here it IS!!!

Get an old bike cable that has aircraft cable in it that stuff is damn near impossible to break its a pain (i know i work @ a hardware store and i gota cut that crap) THen buy a shielded lock one of those circular ones we sell them @ the hardware store but ryder and u-haul normally have those locks just a little over priced

Attach the cable through the top where it locks in the top of the hood then go under that medal thing behind the grill used for towing.

It will be very secure they will need either bolt cutters or tin snip the thing to death but it will take them awhile and its relativly cheap.

ANy more questions about the setup email me @ [email protected]

·
Registered
85 Posts
way out here in the west we have a chain auto parts store called Pep Boys. you probably have something like that. anyhow they cary a small device that attaches with screws to your hood and your radiator support, it has a keyed lock and about 2 inches of chain. it will let you pop your hood just enough to get your hand in to unlock the device. i'm sure bolt cutters would get past it in a minute but what else is there

·
Registered
63 Posts
JC Whitneys sells a hood lock kit that looks like hood pins from a distance, but has locks instead. best $15 I have ever spent!!!

·
Registered
423 Posts
72chevelle350TH350;

Go to the "technical reference" section of this site and check out the pages that cover alarms and hood lock.

The idea of a "back-up" battery is a good one! (I once used a motorcycle battery) One thing that I would add to it is that you should have a "battery isolator" that keeps the back-up charged. An isolator will make it such that if a thief shorts out the main battery (in order to kill the electrical system), it will not also kill the back-up battery.

------------------
Wes. Vann
Technical Reference & Wagons sections
Gold Member #5

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
If you have a '70-'72 with the factory hood pins, you can drill out the holes in the hood pins slightly, and put small padlocks on. I use a pair of small Master brand padlocks that use a real key, not a lowly suitcase-type key. Still, bolt cutters could probably cut them off real quick. But, I do have other theft prevention systems as well.

------------------
Dan Carr
[email protected]
Team Chevelle Gold Member #11, ACES #701
Author of the GMC Sprint, El Camino, and '68-'72 SS Authentication pages.
See my GM A-body fleet at:
www.rmi.net/~dcarr/cars/cars.HTM

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.