Chevelles.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, finally found my electrical problem. Ignitinon switch seems to be damaged. Tried to remove but the blasted lock cylinder wont pop out. turned key to acc, inserted paper clip in hole turned back, nothing. in there solid. exactly how far does the clip have to go?? i got it in there maybe a 1/8 of an inch and it seemed to hit a wall. No plunger. When i tried to push it farther the clip started to bend. Tried a knitting pin, put it through my finger i pushed so hard. any ideas would be helpful

·
Premium Member
13,554 Posts
did you turn the key farther to the left after you inserted the paper clip?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
farther than the rest position? Key was very hard to turn and was hesitant to turn farther for fear of breaking the key

·
Gold Founding Member
63,018 Posts
Originally posted by 68joker:
farther than the rest position?
Yes, Leo's got ya covered

Originally posted by GM
after you push the paper clip in, and while you have it pushed in, rotate the key further counter clockwise to release the cylinder.
check out the Tech Archives

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
here's the situation. between the service manual and all your wisdom, i could do this in my sleep. except for one problem, it isnt working
. Removed the dash to make access easier and to see if i could get any ideas. here's the exact situation. put in acc. and insert clip. clip seems to hit a solid face of some sort. I can move the clip around a little and it all feels the same. There doesn't seem to be a plunger anywhere. is it possible that the switch mught be the wrong one installed for the car??? the hole was to the right of the key slot. with the bezel unscrewed and holding the switch with one hand and turning the key with the other, all i managed to do was bend the key. Unless i can get a clear path to follow im gonna call it a night. please, any more in depth ideas, anything please throw it out there.

·
Premium Member
2,002 Posts
Holding the switch with one hand?
With the bezel loosened?
The paper clip hole to the right?

With paper clip hole to the right is the key in up side down?
Can you turn the switch back 180 degrees and tighten bezel up snug? so paper clip hole is to the left.If so keep trying paper clip hole again turning and poking till the release button gives .
You will feel it if you find it!
If you find it keep paper clip in as far as it will go and wiggle and jiggle turning to the left at the same time (not forcing it very hard)and the cylinder should come out with the key.Then loosen bezel.

Sounds like the switch got turned upside down at one time(just aguess on my part)Souned like to me you were trying to hold switch,turn key and do the paper clip at the same time some how?

Good Luck,Do not give up you will get it out
If not Iwas just trying to help

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the tip L B. checked the back of the switch. the mounting bezel in the back of the dash lines up the hole on the right. no way to retighten to the left. Gonna go party now and will give it a fresh start after the hangover wears away tommorrow.

·
Premium Member
2,002 Posts
Paper clip hole about 2 o'clock in off position
Paper clip hole about 1 o'clock in ACC position
Insert clip at this time hold in while turning counter clockwise.(this is the time to give it the wiggle jiggle)
The cylinder and key should pull out when paper clip hole is at about 12 o'clock(keep giving it the wiggle jiggle if you have to till its out)
Ijust did it on my 66 in less than 2 seconds
I am not for sure if 68 is different

·
Registered
5 Posts
I went and removed mine on the '64 - after a little hunting (with key in ACC) I could feel a spring. Jiggling and turning left at the same time eased the cylinder out pretty easily.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
it worked on the first try. didn't do anything different. didn't change the position from last night. slipped the clip in, bam. Came right out
Now to the boys' to make sure my diag was correct thanks a load for the help men!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts