Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 1972 Chevelle from out of state and must have it inspected by Washington state patrol. Title matches v.i.n on dash but is missing on door. They told me to check the frame number, because of they do same and it doesn't match they pull the dash and tag car.

·
Gold Founding Member
63,904 Posts
I know on a 70 frame I have, the VIN is stamped on the RR frame rail but now I can't remember if it was on top or on the side behind the RR tire. It was also behind the heater plenum, stamped in the fire wall.

I have also seen the VIN stamped in the fire wall behind the heater plenum on a 72 convertible, actually it was stamped there twice.

------------------
Dean Call
Overland Park KS.
A.C.E.S. # 00235
N.C.O.A. # 4350

macc.chevelles.net

[This message has been edited by Dean (edited 02-18-99).]

·
Registered
13,036 Posts
The VIN on the 70 frame is on the top of the right rear frame rail, back behind the tire. You'll never see this without the body off. Not all A bodies are stamped with the VIN in the heater housing, either. Is the original engine in the car? It should have the correct VIN on it if it does. The trans should also.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The V.I.N Number is on the RR upper rail of the frame. You will need to remove the body to see this number. As stated before, check the tranny and engine.Good luck......

TH

·
Registered
934 Posts
Any good places to look for the numbers on a 66 SS?

Im trying to confirm that I have an SS. My tag is missing and the vin is not correct.

Bob

·
Registered
11 Posts
The VIN on the door that he is referring to is the blue GM sticker which also shows the manufacture date. If the car was ever repainted chances are it was peeled off or just fell off over the years. If the VIN on the title matches the one on the dash and the one stamped on the block and tranny, that should be more than enough. If not, find another cop.

·
Registered
9 Posts
409: Your C-VIN (confidential VIN as it is referred to by law enforcement) is on the drivers side rear frame rail, next to the fuel tank. It is on the top side of the rail, usually about 6 inches behind the body mount that is right behind the rear wheel. This number is stamped into the rail, right before the body and chassis are mated together on the line. Because it is stamped from above, you will have to use an inspection mirror between the trunk floor and the top surface of the frame rail to look for it. Make sure that the frame rail is spotless when viewing, because the number is usually very faint. The number will look like: 6K112095, for example. The model numbers will not be present, only the year (6) the manufacturing plant (K happens to be for Kansas, of course) all followed by the sequential serial number. Good luck finding that VIN.

·
Gold Founding Member
63,904 Posts
Question; When does the letter K mean Missouri ?

Actually, K is for Missouri when it's on a GM VIN.
The Leeds plant was in Kansas City MO.
When I was a parts runner for a Chevrolet dealer years ago, I had to pick up parts there just about everyday.

There is a B.O.P. plant in Kansas City Kansas though.

Did 72's even ever have the VIN on the door, I don't believe so myself, but then again I really don't know.

------------------
Dean Call
Overland Park KS.
A.C.E.S. # 00235
N.C.O.A. # 4350

macc.chevelles.net

[This message has been edited by Dean (edited 02-20-99).]

·
Registered
934 Posts
Thanks for the "precise" information Bionic Rat.

That's just what I needed.

Now I have to talk myself into getting under there, (It's 30 degrees here) but at least I have the gas tank out (should help).

Thanks again.

Bob
(ss409409)

------------------
Bob

Bob's 409 Chevy Page

silverstone.fortunecity.com/tvr/246/bob_s_409_chevy_page_index.html

[This message has been edited by mr409 (edited 02-21-99).]

·
Registered
337 Posts
Boy, sounds like the state of Washington is a bunch of nut crunchers!
All you really need is the VIN plate in the dash. I also found my vin stamped on the firewall, as far as the one on the door, like every one else says, it was just the production date with the VIN on it you don't have to have it
Hope everything works out!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.